Job title: Accounting Specialist
Company: Gary Comer Youth Center
Job description: About the Comer Education Campus
The Comer Education Campus (CEC) has been recognized as one of the most unique youth-serving organizations in the nation. Our mission is to help young people prepare to be well rounded global citizens who are ready for college and careers. We primarily serve youth in middle and high schools, while providing employment opportunities and counseling supports to our alumni.
Located in the Greater Grand Crossing neighborhood on Chicago’s South Side, the campus is anchored by the state-of-the-art Gary Comer Youth Center, Gary Comer College Prep High School and Gary Comer Middle School. Programming is offered in three primary categories: academics, enrichment, and college and career preparation. Together we serve nearly 2,000 young people annually.
Responsible for providing accounting support to the Controller and other staff within the department. We are looking for a skilled Accounting professional to perform a variety of accounting, bookkeeping and administrative tasks. Accounting Specialist responsibilities include Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, General Ledger, and other daily transaction activities such as payroll and fixed asset journal entries. The Accounting Specialist will also keep financial records updated, prepare reports and reconcile credit card statements. This position will provide assistance to the accounting department including bank account management, general ledger reconciliations and assisting with monthly financial statement preparation. Must be organized, detail oriented, strong math aptitude, ability to work accurately with numbers and a knowledge of Excel spreadsheet and accounting software.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Perform accounting and clerical functions to support organizational financial activities.
- Manage daily activities including all cash receipts, payments and reconcile bank statements to G/L.
- Manage accounts payable payments, accounts receivable invoicing and receipt collection using various transaction types: ACH, EFT, wires, checks, credit card, etc.
- Record other business transactions and daily activities into the general ledger system.
- Prepare and input vouchers, invoices, checks, account statements, and reports.
- Work with adding machines, calculators, system databases and bank accounts.
- Administrate databases within the accounting system applications.
- Contact vendors/customers to resolve delinquent accounts.
- Investigate questionable data and recommends actions to resolve discrepancies.
- Assist with month-end financial reports and prepares general journal entries.
- Maintain fixed asset/depreciation software application and related journal entries.
- Protect organization’s value by keeping information confidential.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Reinforcing Culture/Values:
- Embrace/demonstrate the values of the Comer Education Campus:
- Youth Power
- Community Commitment
- Equity and Inclusion
- Partner with leadership on major organizational initiatives and ensures all initiatives align with GCYC’s mission and workplace culture.
- Develop and implement strategies to create and maintain a productive and engaging work environment where employees feel safe, comfortable, engaged, and capable to be successful.
- Implement methods to obtain employee feedback (e.g., surveys and interviews) and use this information to improve CEC’s culture and environment.
- Develop and implement ways to support employee collaboration, celebration, and team building.
- Take on other duties as needed.
- Requires minimum of 3-5 years of experience.
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Organizational, verbal and written communication skills a must.
- Attention to detail, strong math aptitude, accuracy, and ability to multi-task.
Education & Skill Requirements
- Associate’s degree in accounting, BS/BA in relevant field preferred.
- Experience with Financial Edge NXT, Papersave, Expensify and/or Other Non-Profit Accounting applications preferred.
- Strong project management , and organizational skills. Must be able to initiate and finish projects.
- Demonstrated experience developing, documenting and sustaining key HR processes
- Excellent coaching skills to assist executives and managers.
- Able to communicate effectively with youth, co-workers, stakeholders and families in a respectful and culturally competent manner via written and verbal communication.
- Must enjoy working with teams but can also work independently.
- Enjoys being the leader but is also confident enough to take directions from others.
- Must be able to take initiative and problem solve. Must be a creative thinker.
- Demonstrates strong accuracy in all areas of work and possess adaptive vitality.
- Demonstrates an understanding of guidance and discipline principles & conflict resolution strategies.
- Must have basic computer literacy skills – including Microsoft Office, independent use of the internet and ability to learn and properly utilize software systems.
- Abides by the employee handbook and established GCYC policies and procedures.
Physical Work Requirements & Environment:
The GCYC environment is consistently bustling with youth and community members. The Center’s work is fast paced and varied. Our work is done on site where our youth and families are. Therefore, it is required that team members meet the following requirements:
- Have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds.
- Able to complete administrative work in a shared office space within a youth center.
- Medical, Vision, Health Benefits
- Paid Holidays
- PTO and Sick Time
- 401K with company match
- Personal and Family Medical Leave
- Short- and Long-Term Disability
- Professional Development opportunities
Powered by JazzHR
Location: Chicago, IL
Job date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 01:39:46 GMT
Apply for the job now!