Job title: Accounting System Assistant Administrator (EM-05)
Company: County Of Maui
Job description: Description
Assists the Accounting System Administrator in planning, directing, and administering the activities of the Accounts Division of the County’s Department of Finance, the continuous design and revision of the centralized accounting system, and the maintenance of control accounting records for all county funds. Serves as the lead in the preparation of yearly financial statements and reports; and the production of fiscal and accounting data analyses for budget preparation, monitoring and other review and reporting purposes; and performs other related duties.
This class differs from the Accounting System Administrator in that the Accounting System Assistant Administrator assists in planning, directing, administering and coordinating the activities for the Accounts Division of the County’s Department of Finance and serves as the lead in the preparation of yearly financial statements and reports; whereas the Accounting System Administrator directs the design and revision of the accounting system for the County and the maintenance of all control accounting records for all funds of the County.
Examples of Duties
The following are examples of duties and are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in this class. The omission of specific duties statements does not preclude management from assigning such duties if such duties are a logical assignment for the position.
- Serves as the Assistant Division Chief of the Department of Finance’s Accounts Division.
- Assists in the planning, organizing, staffing, directing, coordinating, reviewing, revising, reporting, and budgeting of all Accounts Division programs and services for the County of Maui, directly and through various subordinate supervisors. Programs include the maintenance of general and control ledgers and related records reflecting the budgetary status and financial condition of the County; the central claims, inventory and payroll activities; and the computerized, integrated financial accounting information system; etc. Assigns and reviews the work of subordinates, recommends personnel actions including hiring, promoting, and disciplining.
- Assists in the formulation and execution of policies, standards, regulations, business processes and work flows relating to the Accounts Division and its associated programs.
- Serves as the lead and supervises and participates in the preparation of yearly financial statements and reports, including the County’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR), the Single Audit Report, and the production of fiscal and accounting data analyses for budgetary preparation, budgetary monitoring, and other review and reporting purposes.
- Assists in the interpretation and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) statements; federal regulations and state statues; charter provisions, county codes and ordinances; and departmental and administrative policies, rules and regulations. Reviews and maintains a working knowledge of all applicable county, state, federal and professional standards.
- Assists in the coordination of divisional programs with those of other County divisions and departments and federal, state and private agencies. Advises and instructs operating department fiscal personnel on financial and budgetary matters and the application of proper accounting procedures and techniques.
- Assists in enforcing the operating and capital budget ordinances pursuant to provisions of the County Charter and applicable laws and ordinances.
- Maintains relationships with other county, state and federal agencies and assists in the negotiation and promulgation of inter-agency standards and protocols.
- Represents the division, department and the county in various committees, commissions and task forces.
- Assists in the development and proposal of additions and revisions to the Maui County Code, the Hawaii Revised Statutes, the Charter of the County of Maui, etc,
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Training and Experience: A combination of education and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration and five (5) years of professional accounting, financial analysis, or budgetary experience, one of which shall have included the supervision of subordinate professional personnel.
License Requirement: None.
Knowledge of: principles, methods and techniques of accounting, including those of governmental accounting, budgeting and fiscal analysis; preparation and analysis of financial statements and financial report writing; budget administration, tracking and expenditure control; office practices and procedures; government organization and function; County appropriation and budget accounts procedures; principles and practices of supervision and management; use of standard office machines and equipment, including personal computers, peripheral equipment, and software applications.
Ability to: administer a comprehensive accounting and fiscal control system to insure proper conformance with legal requirements and procedures of governmental accounting; develop, determine and recommend Countywide accounting policies, procedures and methods; recommend and draft pertinent ordinances and laws on governmental accounting; participate in high-level conferences and maintain effective working relationships with others; effectively direct the work of others; operate a personal computer using a variety of software applications; give clear and concise oral and written instructions.
Health and Physical Condition:
Persons seeking appointment to positions in this class must meet the health and physical condition standards deemed necessary and proper to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
Physical Effort Grouping: Light
Expected salary: $6964 per month
Location: Maui, HI
Job date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 05:44:38 GMT
Apply for the job now!