Job title: Assistant Director, Law Student Affairs
Company: University of San Diego
Job description: Position Title & Department: Assistant Director, Law Student Affairs; School of Law
USD School of Law is one of the 84 law schools elected to the Order of the Coif, a national honor society for law school graduates. The law school’s faculty is a strong group of outstanding scholars and teachers with national and international reputations and currently ranks in the top 20% (36th out of 204) among U.S. law schools in scholarly impact according to a 2018 study. The school is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools. Founded in 1954, the law school is part of the University of San Diego, a private, independent, Roman Catholic university chartered in 1949.
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged , was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of and an earnest confrontation of .
The Assistant Director for Law Student Affairs (Student Organizations) reports directly to the Associate Director for Law Student Affairs and is responsible for contributing to a positive student experience by providing continuity and consistency through oversight of student organizations and advocacy programs at USD, and providing academic advising for students. The Assistant Director works in a collaborative relationship with all law school students, faculty, administrative offices, and university offices. This position requires occasional attendance at on and off campus events during and outside normal business hours. Some travel may be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide guidance to and administrative support for the Advocacy Competition Teams, including Mock Trial, Moot Court, and Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court Team
- In coordination with mock trial faculty, manage all administrative components for USD’s Mock Trial Team.
- Assist in recruiting alumni and community members to serve as guest coaches and judges. Serve as a liaison between guest coaches, judges, and students in Mock Trial.
- Work with students to plan and execute USD-hosted tournaments and events.
- Oversee onboarding of coaches.
- Oversee budget and expenses. In coordination with the Appellate Moot Court and VICAM boards and their respective Faculty Advisors, direct all administrative components for the USD Moot Court and VICAM advocacy programs.
- Regularly meet with students on Moot Court and VICAM boards and the Faculty Advisors to discuss budget and planning for events and competitions.
- Train students on procedures for reimbursements and assist in registration and travel arrangements for events and tournaments.
- Coordinate Mock Trial tournament entry, and work with the Coordinator for Law Student Affairs to coordinate travel, lodging, and student reimbursements.
- Guide the Coordinator for Law Student Affairs on the processing of student travel bookings and reimbursements. In coordination with the Associate Director for Law Student Affairs, work with additional advocacy programs including Transaction Law Team, Client Advocacy Team, and other Student Organization advocacy competition teams.
Manage all aspects of law student organization activities and extracurricular programming
- Serve as primary contact between the Office for Law Student Affairs and all USD registered Student Organizations and the Student Bar Association (SBA).
- Develop and manage a comprehensive student leadership program, including training on various university rules and policies regarding all student organization activities.
- Work with the other Assistant Director and Associate Director for Law Student Affairs to promote student extra- and co-curricular activities.
- Collaborate and give guidance to staff in other units regarding student organizations. Supervise the Assistant Director for Law Student Affairs in their management of student competition programming and accommodations.
- Manage activities and calendars between and promote collaboration amongst student organizations and law school administration.
- Review and keep updated the USD Student Organizations Handbook. Oversee student organizations’ management of on-campus agency accounts; provide process and reimbursement training for student leaders and assist them with obtaining reimbursements through Agency accounts.
- Coordinate attendance of students at certain external events in conjunction with other offices at the law school (Dean’s Office, Career and Professional Development, Law School Alumni & Development).
- Work with Student Organizations and Law School Alumni & Development Office regarding all fundraising activities, gift processing, and donor-recognition.
- Represent the Office for Law Student Affairs at SBA meetings and other SBA-sponsored events.
- Attend certain student organization functions – academic and social – as a representative of the Office for Law Student Affairs. Provide guidance to law student organizations on diversity, equity and inclusion opportunities including information on diversity and inclusion scholarships, relevant on-campus speakers and external activities (advocacy competitions and conferences), and use of Diversity Fund.
Provide Academic Advising for JD Students
- Under the supervision of the Associate Director for Law Student Affairs, , advise students on the academic program of the law school and provide individualized advice for student schedules, concentration paths and other academic related questions.
- Assist in ensuring the delivery of quality academic advising and support services for new, continuing and visiting students. Support the Associate Director for Law Student Affairs in academic advising and tracking of students subject to Academic Supervision rules. Meet with students on Academic Supervision and ensure they are supported, understand their requirements, and are enrolled in appropriate courses.
Perform Administrative Duties
- Perform administrative duties as necessary including effectively managing event budgets and costs, responding promptly to emails and phone calls, attending and supporting events such as Orientation and Commencement, and attending meetings within the department, law school and university.
- Keep up to date on latest trends and practices within advocacy programs and legal education.
- Perform other duties or tasks as assigned.
Special Conditions of Employment:
The University of San Diego is requiring all employees to follow our Covid-19 vaccine requirement process.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
- Graduate degree required. JD degree preferred, or bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience.
- Minimum of two-three years professional experience required. Litigation experience, mock trial or moot court preferred.
- Experience working in a law school setting is preferred.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package including; medical, dental, vision, a retirement contribution given to you by the University, and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer.
Special Application Instructions:
Resume and Cover Letter Required
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open until filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit
Advertised: June 21, 2022 Pacific Daylight Time
Location: San Diego, CA
Job date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 06:57:34 GMT
Apply for the job now!