Job title: Associate Director of Creative Services (Administrator I) – Strategic Marketing and Communications
Company: San Francisco State University
Job description: Working Title
Associate Director, Creative Services
This position is an Administrator I in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP), reporting to the Director of Marketing and Brand Strategy.
SF State University
San Francisco State is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting the senior human resources manager.
Applicants may visit titleix.sfsu.edu for more information on SF State’s policy prohibiting discrimination, and how to file an online report using the procedures under Executive Order 1096 Revised. Inquiries can be directed to the campus Title IX coordinator and discrimination, harassment, and retaliation administrator by calling (415) 338-2032 or emailing [email protected]
San Francisco State is a 100% smoke/vapor-free campus. Smoking or vaping of any tobacco or plant-based substance is not permitted on any University properties.
The person holding this position may be considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
This position may be a “designated position” in California State University’s Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position may be required to file conflict of interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Strategic Marketing and Communications
Full-Time (FTE 1.0)
Monday through Friday; from 8:00am to 5:00pm
Anticipated Hiring Range
$6,167 to $7,000 per month ($74,004 to $84,000 annually)
Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Associate Director of Creative Services is a member of the Strategic Marketing and Communications team, an integrated area that leads overall marketing and communications strategy and execution for San Francisco State University for both internal and external audiences. This individual will work with campus stakeholders to identify graphic design needs, audiences, and objectives and evaluate current publications for effectiveness and recommend alternatives when appropriate. Conceptualizes, researches, creates, presents and makes modifications to graphic designs for print and online use. Leads and serves on collaborative creative teams including colleagues in Strategic Marketing and Communication and across campus. Communicates brand standards to departments and colleges to ensure consistency in branding initiatives and materials. Maintains design quality standards. Creates, monitors and adheres to project production schedules. Reviews printer proofs, performs press approvals and monitors the production of printed materials to completion, resolving any attendant problems.
- Identifies and executes communications strategies for marketing the institutions and assigned academic and administrative departments to external audiences, including the general public, prospective students, donors, and alumni.
- Creates original artistic concepts and graphic elements for projects including but not limited to a wide variety of admissions/enrollment and additional external audience marketing materials including direct mail, advertising and websites. Conceptualizes, researches, creates, presents and adapts graphic designs for publicity and marketing materials including printed publications, electronic publications, websites other electronic media (video, html e-mail), advertising, direct mail, integrating design across mediums when necessary.
- Consults with communications partners on campus to identify graphic design needs, audiences, objectives and evaluate current publications for effectiveness and recommend alternatives when appropriate. Designs projects for academic and administrative units of the institution. Maintains brand consistency across various communication platforms, both print and digital.
- Leads the Creative Services team comprised of graphic designers, web specialists and student designers.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues in Advancement and Strategic Marketing and Communications and across the University.
- Supports and participates in branding projects brought forward by Strategic Marketing and Communications. Contributes expertise and judgment to relevant campus committees and task forces.
- Works closely with the communication partners to ensure that strategic marketing materials are creatively executed and consistent with the University’s brand identity.
- Maintains design quality standards for the Strategic Marketing and Communications team. Maintains productive, collaborative relationships with campus partners. Communicates brand standards to campus departments to ensure consistency in marketing materials and branding initiatives.
- Creates, monitors and adheres to project production schedules; communicates routinely and thoroughly with colleagues and supervisor about work progress.
- Provides art direction at assigned photo and video shoots.
- Makes copy corrections, reviews printer proofs, performs press approvals and monitors the production of printed materials to completion, resolving any attendant problems.
- Supervises student designers, teaches software and industry standards and communicates Strategic Marketing and Communications guidelines.
- Maintains organized and accurate electronic files and archives of communication and print design projects and data regarding project specifications through current digital asset management and project management software.
- Develops and maintains positive and collaborative relationships that underscore confidence in the Strategic Marketing and Communications office and the institutions’ branding efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field is required.
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience is required.
- Advanced skills in Adobe Creative Cloud Design Suite.
- Experience with Adobe Digital Publishing Suite, Premier Pro, and After Effects.
- Knowledge of Drupal, CSS skills are preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of design and branding principles.
- Creative, assertive and self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment with superb attention to detail.
- Knowledge of requirements in commercial printing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Ability to be attentive to details, be accurate and be precise.
- Ability to lead, teach and mentor others in a team environment.
- Ability to show initiative and work independently with little supervision.
- Ability to reason and analyze.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality; demonstrate patience and understanding.
- Ability to handle frequent interruptions.
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and manage multiple projects.
- The position requires concentrated time working at computers.
- The position requires traveling to printing plants for press checks.
- Some work on weekends or holidays may be required
This position requires the successful completion of a background check.
Eligibility to Work
Applicants must be able to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, within three business days from their date of hire.
Threaded through our total compensation package is a commitment to bridging life’s transitions. SF State is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive program that rewards efforts that are appreciated by your colleagues, students and the clients we serve.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes medical, dental, vision, pension, 401k, Healthcare Savings Account (HSA), life insurance, disability insurance, vacation and sick leave as well as state holidays and a dynamic fee waiver program, all geared towards the University’s commitment to attract, motivate and retain our employees.
CSU requires faculty, staff, and students who are accessing campus facilities to be immunized against COVID-19 or declare a medical or religious exemption from doing so. Any candidate advancing in a currently open search process should be prepared to comply with this requirement. The systemwide policy can be found at and questions may be sent to .
SF STATE IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS).
Thank you for your interest in employment with California State University (CSU). The CSU is a state entity whose business operations reside within the state of California. Therefore, CSU prohibits hiring employees to perform CSU-related work outside of California with very limited exceptions. While this position may be eligible for occasional telework, all work is expected to be performed in the state of California, and this position is assigned to on-campus operations.
The Human Resources office is open Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and can be reached at (415) 338-1872.
Please note that this position, requirements, application deadline and any other components are subject to change or cancellation at any time.
Advertised: June 20, 2022 (9:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 04:15:24 GMT
Apply for the job now!