Job title: Aviation Law and Security Attorney/Sr. Attorney
Company: Air Line Pilots Association
Job description: Location: US-VA-Tysons (McLean)
Job ID: 2022-0023
# of Positions Type: 1
Category: Legal – Attorney
Aviation Law and Security Attorney/Sr. Attorney
The Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA), the largest airline pilot union in the world and the largest non-governmental aviation safety organization in the world (representing over 64,000 pilots at 39 U.S. and Canadian airlines) seeks an Attorney for our Tysons (McLean), Virginia office. This Attorney/Sr. Attorney will serve as an integral member of the legal team providing legal representation and advice to ALPA, its officers, committees, governing bodies, and members. Reporting to the Sr. Managing Attorney of the Legal Department, the successful candidate will represent the Association in federal and state court litigation at the trial and appellate levels, at administrative agencies, and in arbitration with a particular focus on U.S. and international aviation law, including aviation security law and regulation. The position requires a significant degree of competence in the substantive and procedural aspects of such litigation.
This attorney will provide legal advice and counsel to pilot leaders at all levels of the Association including National Officers, Master Executive Councils (MECs), Local Executive Councils (LECs), ALPA Committees, and Governing Bodies. This advice includes a wide range of legal matters in various areas of legal expertise including U.S. and international aviation statutes and regulations, including aviation security law and regulation; labor law, especially the Railway Labor Act; and, various employment discrimination laws. The attorney also may be called on to provide advice on questions of Association policy.
Local, national, and international travel: 20 – 40%.
ALPA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in a safe workplace. We prohibit discrimination, harassment and harmful behavior of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or other protected characteristics as outlined in federal or provincial laws. We highly value everyone and all are encouraged to apply, including minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities.
- Juris Doctor (JD) from an approved school of law required. A record of excellent academic achievement reflected in law review or equivalent recognition strongly preferred.
- Member in good standing of the Bar.
- Seven (7) years of related experience in labor relations practice and/or aviation law practice and litigation required, fifteen (15) or more years strongly preferred. At management discretion, significant and in-depth, directly applicable, labor, litigation or other relevant experience may be substituted for some of the above requirements.
- Judicial clerkship or other relevant government experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent, demonstrated analytical and oral advocacy skills required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of labor law and/or aviation law required.
- Current knowledge and experience in federal and state court litigation and arbitration/mediation required.
- Knowledge of U.S. and international aviation statutes and regulations, aviation security law and regulations, and administrative proceedings strongly preferred.
- Labor law expertise including, especially the Railway Labor Act preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and coordinate long-term endeavors.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, oral and written, for effective interaction with internal staff, external contacts, and pilots.
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment to formulate decisions and/or solve problems, under time pressure and urgent conditions.
- Experience using online legal research, Westlaw or the equivalent, preferred.
- Software: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred.
Note: The physical demands described herein are characteristic of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential physical activities of this position described below.
Constantly operates a computer/smartphone/tablet. Regularly required to maintain a stationary position, move about the office and the local metropolitan area, determine what others have said or written, and converse with others and exchange accurate information.
Regularly required to sit, stand, bend, reach, and move about the office and travel (locally, nationally, and internationally). Also includes occasional bending, stooping, squatting, and/or pushing and pulling or moving, e.g., to pack, unpack, and/or move cases.
Occasionally required to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve binders, books, boxes, and files up to ten (10) pounds (lbs.). While on travel, could be responsible to move, raise, reach, and/or retrieve luggage weighing as much as 50 lbs. (Assistance may not always be available.)
Relocation not provided.
Location: McLean, VA
Job date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 07:34:04 GMT
Apply for the job now!