Job title: Building Manager
Company: University of Southern California
Job description: USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences (Dornsife) and the USC Viterbi School of Engineering (Viterbi) seek a Building Manager for Michelson Hall (MCB), a shared research building focused on convergent bioscience health-related research. The Building Manager is responsible for MCB operations and facilities, including managing build-out of shelled space with Dornsife & Viterbi Facilities, renovations and relocations, building and lab security/access, oversight of building research-related infrastructure, shipping & receiving, telecommunications, audio/visual support in meeting and convergence spaces, tracking space assignments, and budget management.
This position has a dual reporting structure. The Building Manager reports jointly to the Program Director – Architectural Services at the Dornsife School, and to the Senior Director, Facilities Management & Operations, at the Viterbi School.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a liaison to building faculty and researchers to understand their needs and coordinate building-related matters including use of shared areas. Work closely with Dornsife and Viterbi Dean’s Offices, as needed, regarding space assignments and changes.
- Manage large and small MCB renovation projects from start to finish within defined budget and schedule. Coordinate with University Departments, Dornsife College & Viterbi School Facilities and/or outside contractors and vendors for facilities operations, maintenance, construction and renovation projects.
- Recruit, hire, and train Student Workers to assist with operations. Coordinate and supervise work assignments of Student Workers as assigned and oversee work quality. Schedule and prioritize workload of Student Workers. Approve and oversee timekeeping of Student Workers.
- Oversee the MCB building operations budget. Monitor and analyze facilities expenses. Reconcile facilities expenses to University financial records and initiate correcting entries. Assist with developing facilities cost projections, as required.
- Manage reservation system of building meetings spaces, with priority given to MCB residents whenever possible, while ensuring spaces are well utilized.
- Conduct routine maintenance inspections of MCB for deficiencies, safety hazards and/or code violations, such as field inspection of lighting, temperatures, signage and housekeeping. Work with FMS and Capital Construction Development to facilitate repairs.
- Work closely with university FMS, Fire & Life Safety, Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S), to manage building systems and alarms. Coordinate maintenance, shutdowns, alarm notifications, etc., with building researchers.
- Maintain knowledge of, and, in partnership with FMS, coordinate general oversight of building-wide research-related systems and services. These include but are not limited to the DI water system, dry ice, liquid and gas nitrogen delivery system, shared equipment such as audio/video systems, autoclaves, dishwashers, kitchen equipment, etc., as well as delivery of nitrogen and dry ice, maintaining warranty and maintenance agreements, and arranging for servicing/maintenance as needed.
- Check and revise space floor plans and worksheets for the Dornsife College and Viterbi School’s space inventory systems as required. Contact the University’s Space Management Department to update and resolve space allocation issues. Assist in maintaining analysis of space and equipment requirements and in usage allocation.
- Maintain, manage, and update building electronic access control with the University’s USCard Department and the Department of Public Safety. Work with researchers to ensure access to labs is limited to lab members and others who should have access. Maintain a database by lab to track activity and access.
- Manage physical key distribution and maintain a database to track key assignments and inventory.
- Submit Customer Services Requests to the University’s Information Technology Services Department (ITS), provide required data for new phone lines and data port activations for faculty, staff and students as needed, and follow up with ITS requests.
- Conduct routine laboratory safety inspections of facilities to ensure lab occupant attire/activities and lab equipment/infrastructure comply with EH&S standards and regulations. Document results and recommend corrective action as needed. Follow-up until deficiencies are corrected.
- Work with the Dornsife College and Viterbi School Facilities teams to manage and coordinate the relocation of faculty labs to MCB.
- Maintain, regularly update, and test a Business Continuity Plan to prepare building facilities for disasters and to facilitate recovery afterwards. Coordinate the plan with Dornsife College and Viterbi School Facilities teams as needed.
The USC Viterbi School is committed to increasing diversity of its staff and welcomes applications from women, African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Native Americans, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Required Applicant Documents: (1) Resume/CV AND (2) Cover Letter. Please upload your resume + cover letter as a single PDF document in your application
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering field, and 5 years’ experience in building and/or lab management.
- Strong project management and planning skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD software, MS Office Suite and database software.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at . Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: https://wd5.myworkday.com/usc/d/inst/1$9925/9925$76687.htmld
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Job date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 03:44:36 GMT
Apply for the job now!