Job title: Building Plans Examiner I or II
Company: Ada County
Job description: $24 – $34/hourly + DOE
Reviews building permit applications and building plans accepted for processing; answers building code and related zoning questions from the public and others; interprets and applies the adopted Ada County Building Code Ordinance. Performs residential building inspections when necessary.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The Plans Examiner II is distinguished from the Plans Examiner I by the scope of the work performed and level of knowledge and certifications required. Projects are likely to include commercial building permit applications and construction plans and be more complex and on a larger scale.
- Reviews construction plans and specifications for compliance with Ada County Building Code Ordinance;
- Performs mathematical calculations in the review of construction plans;
- Answers questions from industry professionals and public about the Ada County Building code and related matters;
- Communicates with other divisions, departments, and agencies in matters related to construction and building codes;
- Researches code related issues;
- Generates accurate written record of plan reviews and inspections for the permanent county file;
- Provides guidance to Plans Examiner I and front desk staff.
- Performs building inspections;
- Performs related functions as required.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Construction, Engineering, Architecture or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- At least one year experience as a Plans Examiner;
- Certification required at time of hire:
- ICC Building Plans Examiner
- ICC Residential and Commercial Building Inspector
- ICC Residential and Commercial Mechanical Inspector
- ICC Commercial Energy Inspector
- ICC Commercial Energy Plans Examiner
- ICC Residential Energy Inspector/Plans Examiner
- Accessibility Inspector/Plans Examiner
- Knowledge of and ability to understand and enforce county and state building codes and related laws and ordinances;
- Knowledge of the basics of structural design, algebra, trigonometry and geometry in order to make mathematical calculations;
- Thorough knowledge of all types of construction, materials and methods;
- Skill in the use of personal computers and Microsoft Office software;
- Ability to read and interpret complex plans and specifications;
- Ability to communicate with others verbally and in writing;
- Ability to research and analyze construction materials and methods.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license;
- This position has been designated safety sensitive and therefore the incumbent is subject to random drug testing.
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment and the employee in this class is subject to inside environmental conditions;
- Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a general office environment to accomplish tasks;
- When the employee performs inspections they will take place in a field setting;
- Inspection visits require the incumbent to move over uneven land and inspect various parts of structures.Often the incumbent must use ladders and/or move through crawl spaces to gain access to sections of the structure.Sometimes the incumbent must negotiate fences, hazardous or steep terrain with rough, rocky and/or wet surfaces.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential functions satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job. This job description is not an employment agreement and/or an expressed or implied employment contract. Management has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. Ada County provides Veteran’s Preference for all County jobs except for those deemed “key positions” in accordance with Title 65, Chapter 5 of Idaho Code.
Expected salary: $24 – 34 per hour
Location: Boise, ID
Job date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 23:10:43 GMT
Apply for the job now!