Job title: Business Services Professional
Company: University of Colorado School of Medicine
Job description: University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine – Department of Pharmacology
Job Title: Business Services Professional
Position #00722888 – Requisition #26354
- Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
- Denver Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Pharmacology has a full-time opening for a University Staff (unclassified) Business Services Professional position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a world-class medical destination at the forefront of transformative science, medicine, education and patient care. The campus encompasses the University of Colorado health professional schools, more than 60 centers and institutes, and two nationally ranked independent hospitals – and – that treat more than two million adult and pediatric patients each year. Innovative, interconnected and highly collaborative, the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus delivers life-changing treatments, patient care and professional training and conducts world-renowned research fueled by over $650 million in research grants. For more information, visit .
Nature of Work:
The Department of Pharmacology is seeking applications for a Business Services Professional. This full-time University Staff position is responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing operational functions for the Department, as well as acting as an office manager for the Chair. Specifically, this role will provide fiscal, project management and compliance support, which includes managing expenditures; coordinating events; overseeing purchasing; as well as acting as a main point of contact and monitoring project timelines to ensure deliverables. Additionally, this role will act as a member of the core support team of the Department of Pharmacology.
While this role does not have direct supervisory responsibilities, this Professional is expected to be a leader regarding administrative issues within the Chair’s office and will direct personnel at all levels regarding the appropriate procedures for the administrative management of the Chair’s office.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Anticipates the needs of the Chair by independently researching and determining the appropriate documents needed for meetings and develop them as necessary; independently makes decisions on the daily activities of the Chair by determining the priorities of issues and problems and handle directly or refer to the appropriate office or individual.
- Effectively handles sensitive and confidential issues on behalf of the Chair with tact, timeliness, discretion, professionalism, and consideration of the perspective of the Chair.
- Improves operational efficiency through organization, increased communication, dissemination of information, application of work standards, and tracking mechanisms.
- Identifies projects that may not be on track or for which due dates are approaching. Sends reminders, takes initiative to implement processes to prevent compromised communications or missed deadlines.
- Proofs documents, spreadsheets, and presentations as requested, identifying typographical errors, inconsistencies, misspellings, and discrepancies with other data sources.
- Processes incoming correspondence through email, postal mail, and phones; greets and assists visitors; processes outgoing mail; and creates spreadsheets as needed.
- Manages & oversees the department’s Seminar Series and the logistical arrangements of new faculty member recruitment (schedules, agendas, travel & lodging, honorariums, and student luncheon); production and dissemination of seminar and recruitment flyers to interested parties. Initiate and attend meetings with the Seminar Series committee and the Faculty Recruitment Committee as necessary.
- Manages & oversees the department’s special events including the Annual Retreat, Awards Ceremony, and Faculty Chalk Talks.
- Approves and manages EMS room reservation requests for the department.
- Assesses the need for services and goods for office.
- Purchases materials, supplies, and equipment, subscriptions, and processes documents to establish contracts for vendors for services.
- Places orders and oversees the supply-purchasing process, seeking input and authorization for advanced or critical decisions.
- Develops, approves within delegated authorization, and processes procurement forms, including but not limited to transactions, invoices, official functions, reimbursements, purchase orders, and travel arrangements, using all University systems such as: Elevate Finance, Concur Travel and Expense System, procurement card; and University Physicians Inc. (UPI) system strictly adhering to the University and UPI policies and procedures.
- Enters all purchasing items into system as necessary, keeping accurate records of purchases and expenses for budget analysis and projections.
- Accurately completes all accounting requirements including determining expenditures as needed; compiles estimates of operating expenses and produces the annual and periodic budget, and request documents as needed; reconciles accounts and analyzes discrepancies and solves as appropriate.
- Independently resolves problems and discrepancies to follow state, university, and sponsor procurement and finance requirements.
- Oversees the monthly review of research grant purchases and expenditures with comparison to the financial status of the various grants in the Ford laboratory via the university and departmental status reports.
- Serves as HR Liaison backup when needed.
- Takes initiative to self-train in the various University systems. Learns and follows University policies, procedures, and protocols that are related to the position’s functions.
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
- A bachelor’s degree in business, business administration, finance, accounting, education, social sciences, healthcare administration, public administration, communications, information systems, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- At least one year of experience working with MS Office applications, particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook which includes experience preparing and proofing documents, spreadsheets, and presentations.
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
- Prior experience working in higher education.
- Experience managing an executive office at the University of Colorado.
- Experience working with the University of Colorado’s Human Capital Management (HCM) Human Resource System, Concur and Marketplace.
- Proficient experience with Zoom and the MS Office applications as noted above.
- Experience purchasing materials and supplies.
- Experience planning large events and booking travel.
- Experience working with the CU Medicine system.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to represent the university effectively and professionally through verbal and written communication.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders including faculty, staff, students, alumni, employers, community partners, university administrators, vendors, and contractors, etc.
- Ability to exercise a high degree of good judgment and independent decision-making.
- Ability to handle sensitive matters that require discretion and confidentiality.
- Outstanding customer service skills with a strong commitment to service quality.
- Demonstrates expertise in the Outlook functions and schedules meetings as requested.
- Ability to maintain the calendar and demanding schedule of the Chair.
- Ability to attend to detail and produce accurate and timely work products.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with ability to identify, investigate, and resolve problems.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $53,946 to $68,619.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator:
Diversity and Equity:
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at .
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons within the LGBTQ+ community, and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Expected salary: $53946 – 68619 per year
Job date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 22:05:40 GMT
Apply for the job now!