Job title: Cook S08, Banquet Culinary Lead – The Statler Hotel
Company: Cornell University
Job description: Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
As part of the university’s , all Cornell employees are required to have and provide proof of an FDA-or WHO-authorized or approved COVID-19 vaccine or have obtained a university-approved disability/medical or religious exemption, regardless of their role and work location.
New hires are required to provide documentation showing full vaccination status (that is, completion of two shots of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or one shot of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson) before their first day of work. If a new hire’s vaccination is not complete or information is not received by their start date, the first day of work will be delayed. It is possible in some cases that an offer of employment may be withdrawn.
For additional information on Cornell’s Vaccination Compliance Program .
Cornell University’s Statler Hotel has launched a search for a full-time Banquet Culinary Lead, Cook S08 for our Culinary Team. Our Banquet Cook leads a team of professional staff and Bright, young, talented college students who are eager to learn and be inspired to work together to deliver a WOW to our meeting and event guests.
If you are driven by the passion for hospitality and service, your opportunity is here!
The Statler Hotel & The Nolan School of Hotel Administration:
Located in the heart of a vibrant Ivy League campus, the is part of Cornell University’s Nolan School of Hotel Administration and is the gateway to Cornell University for many visitors. Inspired by curiosity, the humble spirit of Upstate New York, and the scenic beauty of the Finger Lakes region, the Hotel has earned the dual distinction as the area’s only AAA Four Diamond Award-winning property and the Ivy League’s only “teaching hotel.” With 153 rooms, the Statler Hotel is a full-service property with a conference center, four restaurants and over 16,000 square feet of meeting and banquet facilities.
The Cornell Peter & Stephanie is the premier school for hospitality education in the world. As an integral part of the Cornell SC Johnson College of Business, the school is leading the world in teaching and researching the business of hospitality—marketing, finance, real estate, operations, and more, all applied to the world’s largest and most exciting industry. Top faculty, industry leaders, alumni, and students work together to generate new knowledge for the hospitality industry and form the premier network that shapes the industry every day.
Our Statler Family:
We are a team of hospitality professionals who proudly lead the premiere collegiate lifestyle hotel, welcoming the world to the cherished gathering place for those who love Cornell University. We challenge thinking, while connecting and cultivating people. Our actions are driven by a collective aspiration to build a culture of collaboration, celebration and excellence. Our mission is to provide uniquely crafted experiences through personalized connections that will inspire future leaders who will change the world of hospitality.
Among your duties as Banquet Culinary Lead, the cook is responsible for:
- The execution and completion of the daily prep list for All Banquet functions
- Fabricate proteins, cut vegetables, and check pars of items against the prep list
- Prepare menu items from standardize recipes
- Work in accordance with the Banquet Sous Chefs to lead the banquet team through daily services and functions
- Preparing items with speed and accuracy to execute daily events and BEOs
- Monitoring temperatures of all prepared foods, and record them as required
- Providing functional supervision and training to junior staff and student cooks
- Working closely with the front of house to solve problems and make sure the guests are getting a quality experience
- Supporting other team members and departments (pastry, the Banfi line) when able
- Maintain efficient time management and productivity during slow periods throughout the shift
- Cleaning the kitchen and store all food after each period of service or when needed or directed to by supervisor
- Filling out prep lists, closing the shift while adhering to operating standards
- Work with Sous Chefs to ensure, when family meal is needed it is executed, maintained and broken down and space is cleaned.
- Maintaining a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
- Reporting to the Sous Chef/Manager
What we are looking for in a Banquet Culinary Lead, Cook S08:
We are seeking candidates who have the right combination of education and food & beverage experience.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- 4-5 years of experience cooking in a restaurant, hotel, or resort
- Understanding of cooking methods and procedures, and knife handling skills
- Ability to perform tasks with accuracy, speed, and attention to detail
- Ability to read and follow cooking directions
- Ability to remain calm in a fast-paced environment
- Must be organized and self-motivated
- Must be able to stand, bend, stretch, and lift, and carry heavy materials
- Prefer a degree from an accredited College or University with a focus on Culinary Arts
We are a 4-diamond hotel and our goal is to provide the highest quality experience for our guests at The Statler Hotel.
Rewards & Benefits:
As a Statler Hotel employee, you uniquely reap the benefits of working for Cornell University, a nationally ranked Ivy League institution. Cornell has been recognized as an award-winning workplace for our health, wellbeing, sustainability and diversity initiatives. Cornell provides a wide array of great benefits which include:
- You will receive a competitive starting wage plus lucrative gratuities! We also provide clean uniforms, lockers and complimentary shift meals.
- Cornell University provides a wide array of great benefits, including: several excellent
to choose from for medical, dental, prescription drug, and vision care coverage, a 403b retirement plan with multiple investment options, a range of impressive educational benefits, generous leave provisions, 2-4 weeks of vacation, and 13 paid (including end of year winter break through New Year’s Day). * Working in a university setting gives you access to our athletic facilities and a plethora of wellness programs, NCAA sporting events, music, art and theater, lectures and other presentations and events.
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply. Please include your cover letter and resume when applying.
University Job Title: Cook S08
Job Family: United Auto Workers
Pay Rate Type: Hourly
Contact Name: Leanna Caloras
Number of Openings: 0
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
To learn more about Cornell’s non-union staff job titles and pay ranges, see . The final rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience.
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position.
Unique applicable skills.
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your Home dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
Online Submission Guidelines:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by “dragging and dropping” them into the dropbox or by using the “upload” icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit on the HR website.
For general questions about the position or the application process, please contact the Recruiter listed in the job posting or email .
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University’s Office of Institutional Equity and Title IX at voice (607) 255-2242, or email at .
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday – Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by . This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University’s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university’s mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.
Location: Ithaca, NY
Job date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 07:06:08 GMT
Apply for the job now!