Job title: Creative Writer and Producer – JFNA
Company: The Jewish Federations of North America
Job description: ABOUT THE JEWISH FEDERATIONS OF NORTH AMERICA
The Jewish Federations of North America (“JFNA”) consist of 146 Jewish Federations and dozens of Network communities which collectively raise and distribute more than $3 billion annually to support flourishing Jewish life and the needs of the Jewish people in their home communities and around the world. The Jewish Federation system, among the top 10 charities on the continent, leads the largest network of volunteer and professional leaders who build and sustain Jewish communities that are healthy, safe, caring, welcoming and inclusive, educated and engaged, involved in the broader community, and deeply connected to Israel and the global Jewish people.
We work across some of the more critical areas of Jewish life today:
- We effect policy change that impacts our communities
- We build vibrant, diverse, innovative, and engaging Jewish communities across North America
- We connect and strengthen global Jewry and community across 70+ countries around the world and Israel – ensuring Jewish life can flourish wherever it lives.
We do this work by building strong and effective foundations of:
- Lay Leadership/Volunteers across our system.
- Professional talent in 146 communities.
- Fundraising innovation and experience
- Data, Impact, and Growth systems across our communities.
ABOUT THE MARKETING & CREATIVE TEAM
The Marketing & Creative Team serves as an in-house Creative and Digital Agency, serving the Federation system including 146 local Federations. We are at the hub of a fast-paced, innovative organization bringing brand strategy, creative direction, storytelling, marketing strategy, design, copy, and digital production to all initiatives. The work we do is impactful and meaningful – and we are looking for superstars to ideate and create with us!
WHAT IT’S LIKE WORKING ON OUR TEAM
The team works in a fast-paced environment – we move quickly, creatively, resourcefully, and effectively.
We live for collaboration and partnership, and believe that ideas come from everywhere.
We know that projects can come our way in many forms, and we’re always up for the challenge of creating order from chaos.
Our work is primarily screen-based, making experience in digital spaces critical.
We collaborate and strategize with every team across the organization so building relationships and trust is vital.
We believe that in this industry, growth is critical and trends are constantly evolving – we are always encouraging training and courses to expand our skills.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We are looking for a creative leader. A communicator. An organizer.
You are a master of the various mediums through which one can communicate – from video to social to web and beyond.
Your writing goes beyond just specs, and you can brilliantly translate marketing and branding strategies and concepts into innovative, compelling, and impressive campaigns that stimulate targeted audiences to take action.
You enjoy the idea of working on a small but mighty team and you love the idea of working on projects that are vast and impactful – from racial justice and advocacy work to inventing new fundraising campaigns and strategies to building out nationwide advertising/marketing campaigns. We produce videos, events, speeches, social campaigns, websites and more – and all of this excites them!
At your core, you are a storyteller. The one who can find stories in any moment and experience. The one who can’t help but tell it.
Whether you’re writing or producing – you know the story you’re looking to tell and you won’t stop until you’re able to tell it.
You hold both right and left brains at the center – an organized creative visionary. You’ve never met a detail that you couldn’t meet. You are a problem-solver and innovator. You appreciate the role of a good process – and can help build it!
You are inspired by possibility and the “what could be.” You work hard to bring new ideas to the tables at which you sit, the ones people aren’t even bringing up.
You know how to listen very well to what someone means to say rather than what they are literally saying.
You are curious – and you know how to ask great questions.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
35% Creative Writing
- Write and edit brand-forward copy for a variety of channels, including email, website, social posts, videos, speeches, direct-mailers and more
- Self-editing and copyediting to align with the Federation brand voice, which would include internal social, presentations and memos
- Collaborate with a variety of departments to deliver copy that is customized for that team’s initiative/program/campaign
- Write compelling and catchy scripts for short-content videos.
- Take a strategy brief and bring it to life through language and concept.
35 % Creative Production
- Manage video projects and beyond from idea to completion.
- Bring new content ideas and formats of storytelling to the organization
- Concept ideas and directions and help assemble and coordinate the team to bring them to life
- Partner effectively with a cross-departmental team (PR, Social, Product/Web, Marketing, Clients, Federations, Video Production, etc.) to ensure campaigns and projects are cohesive, elevated, and well-executed
- Be an internal content expert – identify trends and opportunities for the organization to innovate and tell its story in new ways
- Help build the organization’s library of content (photo and video) in a way that satisfies our internal needs as well as 146 communities.
15% Account Management
- Support the conception and delivery of big ideas to our internal clients and the broader Jewish world.
- Work with the other team members of the Marketing team to understand and contribute to the Marketing Team’s key business objectives
- Brainstorm exciting ways to create strong, memorable campaign messaging and creative extensions across the organization’s new and ever-evolving programs and initiatives
- Work with departments across the organization to uncover their “it” and help bring it to life.
- Maintain a sharp eye on the performance of our digital and marketing channels in order to identify opportunities to enhance our communications or content strategies
- Aid in the development of departmental processes to improve efficiency & communication
- Partner and coordinate with vendors such as other producers, editors, filmmakers, and more to schedule shoots, hire talent, and negotiate contracts for both photo and video shoots.
- A great proofreader and copyeditor (did you notice that sometimes we use periods after these bullets and sometimes we don’t? That should make you nuts!)
5+ years of experience in creating digital content
A knack for storytelling and witty, conversational writing
Can traverse writing styles easily, from writing social copy to writing imaginative scripts for an impact video, to executive speeches and business decks
Contentful in Jewish Community a plus
Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and to turn around tight, smart, accurate copy while meeting daily deadlines
Excels at time-management and triaging an ever-changing priority list
Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and listening skills – verbal and written
Ability to understand policy and substance areas and translate those into effective marketing and creative strategies.
Has experience with client-facing positions.
Able to create high-quality, of-the-moment content
Adaptable by nature and comfortable working under pressure
Ability to take feedback with grace and professionalism, and always come back with something better
Personal passion for doing good in the world and non-profit space
Needs to be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Google docs, and Asana as well Adobe Suite and basic editing abilities
Agency experience is a plus
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary for this role is dependent on experience. Have more or less experience than listed or different salary requirements? Let’s have a conversation. We offer a flexible remote workplace and a comprehensive benefit package.
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, JFNA celebrates and welcomes people of all identities and backgrounds. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to
THE HIRING PROCESS
Accepting & Reviewing Applications
June 24th, 2022
All applicants will hear from the organization with either a request to schedule an interview or a note about why we have decided not to move forward
July 1st, 2022
Interview #1 with Alexandra Coffey (Managing Director, Marketing & Creative)
Week of July 5th, 2022
Interview #2 and #3 with Marketing & Creative Team (may be divided into two sets)
Week of July 11th, 2022
Interview #4 with Shira Hutt (Executive Vice President, The Jewish Federations of North America)
Week of July 11th, 2022
Week of July 18th, 2022
NOTE: dates may vary and progress more quickly or slowly depending on the applicant pool.
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 01:55:51 GMT
Apply for the job now!