Job title: Executive Program Director
Company: University of Chicago
Job description: Department
Booth Deputy Dean Marcello
About the Department
The University of Chicago Booth School of Business is the second-oldest business school in the U.S. and second to none when it comes to influencing business education and business practices. Since 1898, the school has produced ideas and leaders that shape the world of business. Their rigorous, discipline-based approach to business education transforms students into confident, effective, respected business leaders prepared to face the toughest challenges. Chicago Booth has the finest set of facilities of any business school in the world. Each of the four campuses (two in Chicago, one in London, and one in Hong Kong) reflects the architectural traditions of its environs while offering a state-of-the-art learning environment. Chicago Booth is proud to claim: -an unmatched faculty. -degree and open enrollment programs offered on three continents. -a global body of nearly 54,000 accomplished alumni. – strong and growing corporate relationships that provide a wealth of lifelong career opportunities. As part of the world-renowned University of Chicago, Chicago Booth shares the University’s core values that shape the distinctive intellectual culture. At Booth, they constantly question and test ideas, and seek proof. This extraordinarily effective approach to business leads to new ideas and innovative solutions. Seven of the Booth faculty members have won Nobel Prizes for these ideas – the first business school to achieve this accomplishment. For more information about the University of Chicago Booth School of Business, please visit: http://www.chicagobooth.edu/.
The Executive Program Director is responsible for leading the entrepreneurship programming within the Booth School of Business at the University of Chicago. In this role as a senior leader in the Polsky Center at the University of Chicago, and as a senior leader within Chicago Booth, the Executive Program Director is responsible for leading entrepreneurship activities that impact the MBA students and constituents. This includes leading and developing an organization that has a track record of significant success in creating and growing startup-focused activities and courses at Chicago Booth since 1998. In addition, this includes managing the private equity, venture capital, and entrepreneurship through acquisition programs that serve the professional interests of the MBA students at Chicago Booth.
The Executive Program Director creates and executes initiatives for internal and external constituents, and works with Chicago Booth leadership to integrate Polsky Center activities into those of Booth overall. The Executive Program Director, in coordination with the Associate Vice President of the Polsky Center, oversees activities of the Polsky Center presence at Booth, including budgeting, programming, education, fundraising, operations and strategic planning. This position reports to the Associate Vice President of the Polsky Center.
The Executive Program Director is a member of the Polsky Center Executive Committee led by the Associate Vice President and works closely with all unit heads of the Polsky Center. This includes Science and Technology, Polsky Exchange, and Polsky’s Operations and Marketing teams. These senior leaders of the Polsky Center also work closely with the Polsky Center Faculty Director to ensure the direction of the program is aligned to the University’s academic mission. The Executive Program Director also participates fully in a leadership capacity in Polsky-wide strategic planning and ensuring the organization stays at the leading edge of the field on a global scale.
- Strategic thought leader and promoter of entrepreneurship and innovation and high-growth, high-impact venture creation. This includes familiarity with both student-led, alumni led and faculty-led entrepreneurial activities.
- Works with the Polsky Center’s executive team to implement the overall strategy and operation plan of the Center.
- Accountable to plan and execute work to an annual staff and operating budget that contributes to Chicago Booth’s bottom line.
- Leads a team of professional and administrative staff with direct responsibility to hire, develop and evaluate individuals and maintain a high performing team consistent with Booth’s people values.
- Actively contributes to fundraising activities for the Polsky Center and for Chicago Booth. Coordinates with Chicago Booth, UChicago development teams, corporate relations, grant administration and the Polsky Center executive team. Works with the Polsky Council.
- In collaboration with Polsky’s Faculty Director, manages a portfolio of entrepreneurship courses including laboratory courses in which students gain course credit working with entrepreneurial ventures.
- Leads co-curricular programming activities that serve students, alumni, faculty, and the community. This includes management of the Entrepreneur and Investor-in-Residence programs.
- Develops and oversees student internship programs where students work for entrepreneurial ventures, venture capital firms and/or private equity firms. Collaborates with Chicago Booth’s Career Services Office, Deans Office and the University’s Career Advancement Office to support these programs.
- Manages award-winning, nationally recognized New Venture Challenge startup launch program and each of its affiliated programs.
- Oversees private equity, venture capital, and entrepreneurship through acquisition programs.
- Initiates and grows partnerships with industry leaders, venture capital investors, corporate innovators, student groups and others to build co-curricular activities for students and faculty at Chicago Booth.
- Promotes the Polsky Center by managing, building and nurturing relationships with the members of the Polsky Council, Private Equity Council, and Entrepreneurship through Acquisition Advisory Committee.
- Collaborates with Chicago Booth leadership to ensure that Polsky Center activities align and coordinate with those of Booth. Connects Booth’s MBA student body and University innovators among the faculty, research and student community.
- May serve as a delegate of Polsky’s Associate Vice President on Booth leadership groups, including as a member of the Booth Management Group.
- Collaborates with the ED of Science and Technology and the ED of Operations to manage annual planning requirements.
- Identifies new growth opportunities for the Polsky Center.
- Provides strategic leadership for a Center with senior management and serves as a liaison to academic departments, professional organizations and administrative units of the University.
- Manages multiple related teams. Establishes department priorities, is responsible for the management of the center budget, allocates resources and executes strategic plans.
- Performs other related work as needed.
Education: Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Work Experience: Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 10+ years of work experience in a related job discipline.
- Master’s degree, MBA.
- A minimum ten years of demonstrated work experience in either a startup venture and/or other type of business or related discipline.
- Managing a team of professional staff.
- Developing and bringing a new offering to market.
- Working within an entrepreneurial company or with entrepreneurship programming.
- Working with graduate students.
- Working in an academic setting.
- Fundraising knowledge and experience.
- Strategic planning experience and demonstrated success with implementation.
- Proven ability to lead, manage and operate in a complex organization.
- Strong communication skills including coaching, facilitating, negotiating and effective written communications skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with multiple constituencies in a sometimes ambiguous and fast-paced environment.
- Effective presentation skills.
- Resume/CV (required)
- Cover Letter (required)
When applying, the document(s) MUST be uploaded via the My Experience page, in the section titled Application Documents of the application.
Administration & Management
Scheduled Weekly Hours
Requires Compliance with University Covid-19 Vaccination Requirement
Drug Test Required
Health Screen Required
Motor Vehicle Record Inquiry Required
Employees must comply with the University’s COVID-19 vaccination requirements. More information about the requirements can be found on the .
The University of Chicago is an and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or other protected classes under the law. For additional information please see the
Staff Job seekers in need of a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process should call 773-702-5800 or submit a request via
We seek a diverse pool of applicants who wish to join an academic community that places the highest value on rigorous inquiry and encourages a diversity of perspectives, experiences, groups of individuals, and ideas to inform and stimulate intellectual challenge, engagement, and exchange.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes a review of conviction history. A conviction does not automatically preclude University employment. Rather, the University considers conviction information on a case-by-case basis and assesses the nature of the offense, the circumstances surrounding it, the proximity in time of the conviction, and its relevance to the position.
The University of Chicago’s Annual Security & Fire Safety Report (Report) provides information about University offices and programs that provide safety support, crime and fire statistics, emergency response and communications plans, and other policies and information. The Report can be accessed online at: . Paper copies of the Report are available, upon request, from the University of Chicago Police Department, 850 E. 61st Street, Chicago, IL 60637.
Location: Chicago, IL
Job date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 01:51:18 GMT
Apply for the job now!