Job title: Information Technology Director
Job description: The Des Moines Area Regional Transit Authority (DART) is the largest public transit agency in Iowa. DART provides resources for those who vanpool, walk, or bike. These services connect thousands of people every day to jobs, school, medical appointments, entertainment and more.
DART serves Altoona, Ankeny, Bondurant, Clive, Des Moines, Grimes, Johnston, Pleasant Hill, Polk County, Urbandale, West Des Moines and Windsor Heights.
What do we offer?
Group Life Insurance
Deferred Compensation Plan
I.P.E.R.S. Retirement System
Long Term Disability
Short Term Disability
Flexible Benefit Plans
Paid Time Off (PTO)
The Information Technology Director will provide strategic vision and leadership in the development, implementation and management of technology systems within DART. The IT Director will develop and oversee the IT strategic plan, provide leadership and direction to the IT staff, and ensure technology and information systems are aligned with business objectives. The IT Director will work closely with the executive team, Board of Commissioners, and other decision makers to identify, recommend, develop, implement, and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization. This person will also define and implement IT policies, procedures, and best practices.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED AS NEEDED)
- Develops and communicates a strategic direction and vision, as well as operating and control strategies for IT. Aligns strategy, services, investment decisions and delivery structures and processes with the strategic direction of the organization.
- Develops and manages the organizations Information Technology roadmap. Cultivates short- and long-term strategic technology plans for achieving the company s core goals
- Provides direction, management, and leadership to the IT staff. Selects, trains, develops, mentors and guides staff in achieving goals and objectives; coaches and develops employees; provides constructive feedback on performance and behaviors; reviews and evaluates work; counsels and handles personnel actions as needed.
- Manages day to day activities of the IT Division including technology development and infrastructure. Ensures the streamlined and stable operation of IT systems. Reviews all aspects of application system implementation, upgrades and maintenance. Includes modifications, upgrades and maintenance to infrastructure, networks, radio systems and other applications into the existing environment.
- Continuously monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors the distribution of work, support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of change.
- Monitors changes or advancements in technology that could improve the company s products and performance. Directs research on potential technology solutions to support procurement efforts and to enhance the company s processes and integrations
- Analyzes the costs, value and risks of information technology to advise the executive team and board on suggested actions. Creates business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for IT spending and initiatives.
- Develops, administers, and controls the budget for the Information Technology Department. Directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs the preparation and implementation of budgetary adjustments.
- Manages and participates in projects performing comprehensive systems analysis to design and develop new systems and enhancements in assigned technology area; consults, confers, and coordinates activities with users, staff from various departments, outside agencies, and vendors to resolve program, system, operational, and procedural problems; analyzes problems and recommends course of action
- Directs the selection and implementation of new business systems and technologies. Confers with and serves as a resource to the organization on the planning, development, and implementation of technology programs and projects which enhance their service delivery and optimize staff efficiencies.
- Manages the IT Department s overall project portfolio. Ensures effective management of all projects and ensures appropriate project controls and communication plans are in place.
- Manages vendor and consultant relationships through effective negotiations and administration of contracts for IT equipment and service, and customer services functions. Participates in administering information technology related contracts; works with other divisions and/or departments to negotiate or renew cost-effective contracts; monitors and evaluates contractor performance to ensure compliance with DART standards; initiates corrective action as appropriate.
- Develops a formal enterprise information security framework. Directs risk, compliance and security operations for the agency. Aligns information security strategies, services, investment decisions and delivery structures and processes with the strategic direction. Provides guidance on developing, implementing and effectively managing security processes and programs (BCP, Incident Response Planning, Risk Management, Vulnerability Management, and Privacy).
- Establishes and directs the implementation of all IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, business continuity, standards, purchasing, and service provision
Additional Responsibilities of this Position:
- Aids in the documentation of all core systems configurations, all relevant passwords, and system access requirements
- Fosters staff communication and collaboration with various departments across the company
- After hours support as requested
- Bachelor s degree from an accredited university or college with major coursework in Computer Science or Management Information Systems OR requisite experience is required.
- A minimum of seven (7) years IT experience with progressively responsible experience in Information Technology
- A minimum of three (3) years in a Management role
- Advanced degree in business administration, operations research or computer science is desired.
- Technical and/or leadership certifications helpful
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Competencies:
Knowledge of: Employee management strategies; enterprise IT infrastructure hardware, software and strategies; IT security best practices; VMware; Microsoft OS; Microsoft SQL; transit software helpful
Skill or Ability to: Effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment; engage and motivate staff; provide exceptional customer service; understand business processes and technological solutions; drive projects to completion; communicate effectively across multiple departments
Competency to: Engage and motivate staff; adapt to change; champion customer needs; communicate effectively across multiple departments; think strategically; control costs; driving projects to completion; develop plans; prioritize tasks; resolve conflict; share information
IT Project Manager, Systems Engineer, Systems Administrator, ITS Administrator, Helpdesk Specialist (2 positions), Network Administrator
On a normal workday, this position requires:
- Prolonged periods of sitting and reaching
- Extensive use of hands, fingers and arms in operations requiring constant handling of paper documents, computing and entering data using a keyboard
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less to read and enter numerical data
- The ability to hear normal verbal conversation with or without corrective devices to communicate with co-workers and customers
- The ability to speak and read the English language clearly and concisely
Work is performed in a general office environment.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the position. While this list is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, DART reserves the right to revise the functions and duties of the position, or to require that additional or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, staff shortages, work load changes, rush jobs, or technological developments).
Employment is contingent upon a post offer non DOT drug screen and a background check which will include a credit check.
Location: Des Moines, IA
Job date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 22:46:18 GMT
Apply for the job now!