Job title: Instructional Assistant 2 – Special Education 1:1
Company: Bentonville Schools
Job description: Under direct supervision and assists the Special Education Teacher and/or the Principal in student supervision and instructional activities (including but not limited to the development of academic, social and independence/self-care skills) as related to the identified needs of students with individualized education programs (IEPs). Performs all routine clerical and other duties as required.
Essential Job Functions
- Work with students on content material, including assistance with current computer or assistive technology as needed.
- Works with students individually and in small groups to reinforce basic learning and implement assigned programs.
- Assists in classroom preparations and strategies for reinforcing instructional materials and skills according to individual student needs.
- Assists with record-keeping procedures to document student academic learning performance (including data collection for the purpose of behavior tracking)
- Assists with classroom behavioral management (Behavior Support Plans) to minimize disruptions and ensure a safe and orderly classroom.
- Assists students in non-instructional areas, such as supervising the student lunch programs, bus duty, playground duty, corridor, study hall, and other related non-instructional areas.
- Support students as needed in required learning setting (general or special education classrooms, field trips, common areas, post-secondary facilities).
- Constructs, copies and distributes educational materials as needed.
- Works with Special Education Teacher in preparation for parent conferences, IEP meetings, data collection and other duties as required.
- Assist students with physical or mental disabilities with activities of daily living for the purpose of maximizing their ability to participate in school or learning activities.
- May be required to assist students with self-care needs (personal hygiene, feeding, toileting)
- May assist in the training of other paraprofessionals.
- May support student behavior through utilizing appropriate restraint procedures if absolutely necessary for student safety. Training in restraint procedures will be provided.
- Assist staff or building administration, as needed including but not limited to clerical assistance and assistance with other students in a general education or special education environment.
- Perform any other related duties as assigned.
- A dedicated aide is assigned only when absolutely necessary and a plan will be provided to move away from the aide toward more independence. This may result in the culmination of the position.
- When a student moves from one grade to the next and it requires a building change, the designated 1:1 aide is expected to move with the student.
- May be asked to attend occasional extra-curricular activities.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Use standard office equipment, such as personal computers and copiers.
- Use/operate student equipment when applicable (may include: stander, positioner, harness, wheelchair, etc.)
Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed to assist students at level of IEP goals.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to report work orally or in writing to supervisor as required.
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to attend additional training if needed
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Ability to safely lift up to 30 pounds
- Ability to work outdoors during outdoor student activities.
- Ability to safely traverse all required spaces within the assigned facility
- Ability to physically assist students in emergency evacuation & lockdown situations
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Successful completion of college level coursework or passing of examination as required by the most recent legislation.
- Prior experience working with children desirable.
Powered by Aspex Solutions – AppliTrack, Applicant Tracking for Educators. Online Job Employment Applications, Web Based Employment Applications for School Districts and Educational Institutions – You can also view at www.k12jobspot.com. K12JobSpot is a site that has thousands of teaching jobs – all from AppliTrack school districts.
Job date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 00:42:45 GMT
Apply for the job now!