Job title: Intermediate Laboratory Sciences Professional – Pediatric Cardiology
Company: University of Colorado School of Medicine
Job description: University of Colorado | CU Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pediatrics | Section of Cardiology
Official Title: Research Services Intermediate Laboratory Sciences Professional
Working Title: Intermediate Laboratory Sciences Professional – Pediatric Cardiology
Position #00798032 – Requisition #26663
- Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at *
The University of Colorado has a requirement for COVID-19 vaccinations and full completion thereof by 9/1/21 or upon start date. Information regarding this requirement, and exemptions can be found at:
Exemptions vary by campus location/department.
- Anschutz Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical or religious reasons.
- Denver Campus – Exemptions are allowed for medical, religious, or personal reasons.
- Consolidated/Central Services Administration – Will follow Anschutz policy on exemptions.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus is a world-class medical destination at the forefront of transformative science, medicine, education and patient care. The campus encompasses the University of Colorado health professional schools, more than 60 centers and institutes, and two nationally ranked independent hospitals – UCHealth University of Colorado Hospital and Children’s Hospital Colorado – that treat more than two million adult and pediatric patients each year. Innovative, interconnected and highly collaborative, the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus delivers life-changing treatments, patient care and professional training and conducts world-renowned research fueled by over $650 million in research grants. For more information, visit .
The School of Medicine’s Department of Pediatrics, Section of Cardiology has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Research Services Intermediate Laboratory Sciences Professional position.
Jobs in the Research Services career family provide direct professional support of research activities. Functions include contracts and grants solicitation and administration, grant/agreement preparation, review and negotiation, regulatory compliance, sponsor communication and post and pre award management, human subject compliance, research animal management, research laboratory coordination and instruction, environmental health and safety, radiation control, hazardous materials use, disposal and training.
Professionals at the intermediate level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the intermediate level, duties are less limited in scope and are performed independently with occasional guidance and direction from other professionals.
Nature of Work
Intermediate Laboratory Science Professionals perform duties in an experimental lab, or wet lab, and handle a variety of chemicals and/or potential “wet” hazards. Intermediate Laboratory Science Professionals perform duties in laboratories where chemicals, drugs, or other materials or biological matters are tested and analyzed.
This professional will assist with the ongoing NIH and AHA funded projects that include but are not limited to metabolic profiling and comprehensive metabolic pathway mapping in organs of human pediatric and translational animal model of congenital heart disease surgery. The role will include both work with the team on their large animal model of pediatric cardiac surgery as well as direct collaboration with iC42 Clinical Research & Development Center at the University of Colorado, which provides quantitative mass spectrometry, metabolomics (LC-MS, GC-MS and magnetic resonance spectroscopy-based) and proteomics analyses. The successful candidate will join a well-established, highly productive translational research team with a focus on collaborative team science, career development, and an outstanding work culture. Our mission is to improve the lives of children born with congenital heart disease through excellent basic and clinical research.
Examples of Duties Performed
- Collaborate with and support Principal Investigators (PI) and other stakeholders with laboratory and research functions
- Utilize a variety of laboratory techniques required for research projects
- Perform experiments and tabulate and analyze research
- Support analytical testing process using standard lab support knowledge in the collection and review of conditions, including preserving samples, completing sample preparation, documenting and communicating results
- Responsible for sample collection and processing (blood and urine) during the operations and for organ harvest and preservation following sacrifice
- Perform pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical test process and evaluate results produced by LC/MS
- Blinded analysis of samples including ELISA/Western Blot, immunohistochemistry, PCR
- Prepare lab for daily operations, including stocking materials, equipment, safety, cleanliness, and related areas
- Provide animal care related to research studies, as necessary
- Pick up, transport, and maintain results, samples, documents, materials and other items as needed
- Dispose of laboratory materials and samples using well established guidelines and instructions
- Review, complete and process logs, documents, databases, and related materials and information
- Provide support researching issues and developing recommendations to resolve process, unit and related issues
- Assist in the review and implementation of lab support policies, practices and programs to meet organizational, operations and management needs
- Assist with ensuring compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations; receive guidance and direction or escalate when required
- Independently and creatively identify laboratory solutions
- Independently Review, develop and implement new or modified laboratory techniques required for research projects
- Assist Team Leads, Supervisors and/or management with creation and implementation of processes and procedures and quality improvement initiatives
- Assist and train junior team members
Additional Duties & Responsibilities
- Assisting with animal surgeries on a piglet model of cardiopulmonary bypass with deep hypothermic circulatory arrest
This description is a summary only and is describing the general level of work being performed, it is not intended to be all-inclusive. The duties of this position may change from time to time and/or based on business need. We reserve the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of the supervisor and/or hiring authority.
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, molecular biology, chemistry, genetics or related field
- A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor’s degree on a year for year basis
- One (1) year professional level research experience
Applicants must meet minimum qualifications at the time of hire.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing and able to have flexible schedule on days of animal surgeries.
- Two (2) years of experience in an experimental or wet laboratory
- One (1) year of animal model experience
- Experience in animal surgery
- Experience with ELISA/Western Blot
- Experience with PCR
- Experience in a bioanalytical mass spectrometry laboratory
Competencies, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficient knowledge of basic laboratory techniques including safety procedures and techniques
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution
- Knowledge of basic human anatomy, physiology medical terminology
- Ability to interpret and master complex research protocol information
- Flexible mindset
- Highly organized
- Ability to design and troubleshoot laboratory assays
Salary and Benefits
The salary range (or hiring range) for this position has been established at $43,834 to $55,757.
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
The above salary range (or hiring range) represents the University’s good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator:
Diversity and Equity
The University will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the employment application process. To request an accommodation pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact the Human Resources ADA Coordinator at .
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Expected salary: $43834 – 55757 per year
Job date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 22:38:32 GMT
Apply for the job now!