Job title: Law Clerk
Company: Hennessy & Roach, P.C.
Job description: Company Description
Hennessy & Roach, P.C. is a law firm defending employers in Workers’ Compensation and defendants in General Liability matters. H&R is based in Chicago with additional offices in Springfield, Illinois; St. Louis, Missouri; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; Indianapolis, Indiana; Overland Park, KS; Omaha, Nebraska; and Brentwood, Tennessee. The firm handles matters throughout the States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, Wisconsin, and Tennessee. Founded by Thomas G. Hennessy and James P. Roach on May 17, 1993, the firm continues to grow.
Successful law firm seeks a full time Law Clerk for our downtown Chicago headquarters. Candidate must be detail-oriented, highly motivated, organized professional capable of functioning in a fast-paced, challenging legal environment. Please forward cover letter, resume, and wage requirements for consideration.
This Law Clerk position is responsible for scheduling depositions and covering the 2pm Chicago Status Call by phone. They locate and retrieve requested files, as well as prepare legal document indices, file folders and labels. They may be responsible for keeping files up to date following a filing system and organizing records, such as letters, legal documents, case files, correspondence, invoices and memoranda according to that system. In addition to filing, clerks may perform other clerical duties, such as handling mail, faxing, using a copy machine, maintaining a calendar, and managing office equipment. In addition to clerical duties, law clerks may also act as a courier to make deliveries and pickups within the downtown Chicagoland area. A potential candidate should be able to lift 50 lbs.
Essential Job Functions:
· Deposition scheduling.
· Telephone attendance of the 2pm Chicago status call and backup for downstate, updating information in Time Matters as well as notifying attorneys of results.
· Review and docket mail and CompFile motions as well as other related documents pertaining to the worker’s compensation cases.
· Assist attorney with filing of Circuit Court and Appellate briefs and motions. Ensure documents are properly delivered to the appropriate venue.
· Maintain daily calendar and computer files. Ensure tasks are completed timely and properly documented.
· Keeps cases organized by establishing and organizing files; monitoring calendars; meeting deadlines; documenting actions; inputting information into file database and case management software.
· Making sure filing is done and up to date.
· Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
· Maintaining records attendant to court proceedings.
· Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Skills and Qualifications:
· High school diploma or GED (or equivalent) required, Associates or bachelor’s degree preferred.
· 0-2 years of experience supporting a legal office or working in the legal industry.
· Working knowledge of court rules and procedures.
· Microsoft Word and Outlook experience required; Excel experience preferred.
· Outstanding organizational, interpersonal, and administrative skills.
· Excellent attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
· Excellent communication and proofreading skills.
· Must be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines under pressure.
· Must have the ability to work as part of a team, as well as to work independently.
· Organization, Planning, Attention to Detail, and Dependability.
· Firm and Client Confidentiality required.
Benefits include: Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Account (FSA), Health Spending Account (HSA), Short Term & Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Critical Illness & Accident Insurance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and 401(k)/Roth retirement plan with company match.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Location: Chicago, IL
Job date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:11:54 GMT
Apply for the job now!