Job title: Legal Counsel, Litigation
Company: Campaign Legal Center Inc
Job description: LEGAL COUNSEL, LITIGATION
CLC engages in trial and appellate litigation around the country as one of our tactics to advance Democracy through law. CLC litigates cases to defend and ensure enforcement of federal and state campaign finance laws, to protect the fundamental right to vote, to challenge redistricting plans that discriminate against voters on the basis of their race or political beliefs, and to ensure compliance with government ethics laws. CLC also participates in trial and appellate cases through friend-of-the-court briefs, engages in educational efforts (such as know-your-rights trainings), and provides legislative drafting assistance to legislatures and organizations seeking to improve election law.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Litigation, the Legal Counsel will play an integral role in litigating cases in federal and state courts, including identifying litigation opportunities, drafting pleadings, motions, and briefs, managing discovery, and assisting with trial and appellate proceedings. The Legal Counsel may also participate in developing and drafting policy and legislative proposals.
- Draft pleadings, motions, and briefs in federal and state cases
- Research legal issues and draft legal memoranda in support of CLC’s litigation strategy
- Develop discovery strategy and draft discovery requests and responses, ensuring compliance with court-ordered discovery deadlines
- Monitor and identify litigation opportunities and needs in areas of campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, and government ethics
- Take and defend witness depositions, participate in conferences with opposing counsel, and participate in court hearings
- Participate in trial proceedings
- Participate in record-building activities and the development of policy and legislative proposals
- Some travel required
- At least one year of legal experience (a judicial clerkship satisfies this requirement)
- Experience drafting legal memoranda
- Strong research, writing, and analytical skills
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills with a proven ability to work effectively and collaboratively as part of a team
- Active membership in the DC bar in good standing, or eligibility to waive into the DC bar
- Commitment to the nonpartisan nature and overall mission of CLC
- Demonstrated interest in campaign finance, voting rights, redistricting, or government ethics issues is preferred but not required
Location: Washington DC
Job date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 07:13:34 GMT
Apply for the job now!