Job title: Paraeducator, Special Education – School Adjustment Program (SA) – KW2218
Company: Kent School District
Job description: HOURS/FTE: This is a 6.5hr, 9 month Paraeducator position at Kentwood High School. Pay is spread 12 months.
Kentwood, a four-year high school of 1,900 students located east of Kent, offers a wide variety of courses in English, math, science, social studies, P.E., business, world language; including Mandarin Chinese, health, home and family life, technical and vocational courses, and other electives. Kentwood offers students a strong co-curricular program, including a career center, sports teams that are regularly state champions, Grammy award-winning music programs, theater, and special interest activities. Kentwood is on a six period, semester schedule, which enhances the opportunity for student choice and achievement. In addition, the 9th and 10th grades are broken into small learning communities, which enhance personalization and collaboration for student and teacher. Students are challenged at all levels and areas. Kentwood students and staff are committed to success and regularly demonstrate high levels of achievement. The “commitment to excellence” is evident from ELL and Special Education classes to Advanced Placement in art, history, literature, language, biology, chemistry, economics, environmental science, music theory, physics, psychology, calculus and statistics. Kentwood also offers students University of Washington courses in English composition, French, pre-calculus, science, and Spanish. Kentwood enjoys strong parent and community support.
All Paraeducator applicants are required to show proof of 72 college level credits, an AA degree (or higher), or passed the Para Professional Assessment. If an applicant is in need of testing, they can still apply, and if they are the finalist candidate they will need to pass the Para Professional before being hired into the role.
Upon hire, new paraeducators will be required to complete state required training offered through our KSD Professional Development Team.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: This 9 month position is part of the KAP bargaining unit.
ASSIGNMENT: The school adjustment program is for students that demonstrate serious emotional-behavioral difficulties and have average cognitive functioning. Paraeducators assist the teacher(s) in various special education programs. The paraeducator’s duties include small group instruction, one-on-one instruction, preparing materials for a lesson, correcting papers, teaming, collaboration between regular and special education staff and assisting students with individual learning and health needs. Position may require staff to provide individual student support as determined by the building administrator and/or classroom teacher.
AA degree, 72 quarter-hour college credits, OR ParaPro Assessment with a score of 461 or higher. (Transcripts or proof of parapro score must on file to be considered for an interview.) * Proof of High School completion. Copy of diploma or transcripts must be on file at start of employment. College transcripts that specifically state completion of high school will be accepted in lieu of high school diploma.
- Ability and willingness to provide medical or health services such as catheterization, diapering, toileting, feeding, tube feeding and assisting students with other activities involving self-care, which may be required.
- Ability to lift and transfer students in and out of wheelchairs, if needed.
- Physically strong enough to assist with restraint, lifting, and transferring students to a safe place.
- Ability to exercise sound, independent judgment, including handling of confidential matters.
- Completion of state required training upon hire
Please note: If you do not meet the required qualifications, your name will be screened out from the list of qualified candidates.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: * Experience working with students with special needs/high needs at the school level.
- Experience working with high needs students. Must not be afraid of students with behavior disorders.
- Crisis Intervention Training recommended.
- Must not be insulted by students swearing and using inappropriate language.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students who are in an at-risk situation.
- Ability to communicate in another language.
- Ability to exhibit multicultural and ethnic understanding and sensitivity with the ability to communicate effectively with all cultural groups in the school community.
- Experience working with a diverse student population and the specific school demographics.
- Ability to be dependable, including good habits in attendance and punctuality.
- Must have strong communication skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills working with a team of adults.
- Must develop healthy, respectful, and positive relationships with students, parents, and staff.
- Must be able to take initiative to do what needs to be done without being told.
- Must be enthusiastic, positive and be a team member and able to demonstrate flexibility working with students, parents, and staff.
- Must maintain positive learning environment and have ability to relate to all students, parents, and colleagues.
- Desired characteristics are: flexibility; ability to organize ideas, time and materials to accomplish goals; enthusiasm; ability to express ideas clearly and understand concepts being discussed; ability to learn new ideas and skills; ability and willingness to develop favorable relationships with students; and willingness to model behavior deemed appropriate by the school district and the community.
Job Title : Paraeducator, Special Education – School Adjustment Program (SA) – KW2218
Primary Location : Kentwood High School
Salary Range : $21.96 – $25.46 / Per Hour
Shift Type : Part-Time
Expected salary: $21.96 – 25.46 per hour
Location: USA – USA
Job date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 01:53:46 GMT
Apply for the job now!