Job title: Paralegal II – Employment Law
Job description: Posting Date May 31, 2022
Job Number 22081471
Job Category Legal
Location Marriott International HQ, 10400 Fernwood Road, Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Marriott International operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties globally. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company’s lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients.
The paralegal in this position will work with the Labor and Employment teams in the Marriott Law Department’s Labor, Employment and Benefits section. These teams provide legal advice and counsel regarding labor and employment issues, policies, and programs to Human Resources professionals and line and corporate staff managers within the Company’s businesses; negotiate or assist with negotiating Marriott’s collective bargaining agreements; and assist with creating and implementing the Company’s labor and employee relations strategies. This position provides matter coordination and document support to the Labor and Employment attorneys in the section, reporting to the Vice President & Assistant General Counsel – Group Leader, Employment Law.
Specific Job Summary
The primary specific duties, responsibilities, and expected contributions of the paralegal in this position include:
- Handle and respond to subpoenas, discovery, and other legal requests for employment or personnel information in connection with employment and workers’ compensation matters. Interact with various Marriott departments (e.g., Human Resources, Risk Management, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Internal Investigations, Operations, Corporate Communications) to request necessary documents and data; review, redact and assemble documents and data; draft correspondence; and forward responses to the requesting party within required time frame.
- Manage requests for employee data such as personnel files, time records, and payroll records from internal and external resources; conduct initial review and sorting of employee records and data to determine if responsive information was provided; follow-up as necessary; compile and send final responses.
- Manage collective bargaining agreement database, including digitizing and uploading agreements and side letters, maintaining log of agreements, and tracking expiration dates.
- Support collective bargaining negotiations, including compiling background information and documents and preparing responses to information requests.
- Provide general support to the attorneys and other members of the group on employment cases or matters.
- Assist with preparation and tracking of litigation holds, as appropriate.
- Perform basic legal research.
- Create, update, and maintain databases and other legal resources, as appropriate.
- Proactively interface with attorneys and senior paralegal regarding status of matters and completion of projects.
- Create and maintain paper and computer files of correspondence and documents in accordance with group protocols; organize and purge multiple files following completion of project or resolution of matter, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested by the attorneys; will involve handling confidential and sensitive material.
Successful candidates should possess education and experience as follows:
- Two-year college degree and
- Minimum relevant work experience of three years.
- Four-year college degree and
- Minimum relevant work experience of one year
- At least ten years of relevant work experience as a paralegal
Has basic subject matter paralegal experience; Paralegal Certificate preferred but not required.
Successful candidates should possess knowledge and skills as follows:
- Good written and oral communication skills – Strong drafting skills a plus
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Teams, and Outlook
- Strong business ethics and personal integrity
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of issues, and effectively resolve problems
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively, work diplomatically, and foster relationships
- Collaborative approach and professional presence
- Solid time management skills and ability to monitor and meet deadlines
- Diligence, dependability, and strong work ethic
- Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities quickly and comfortably
- High energy, drive, and enthusiasm for work
- Ability to act independently to improve and increase skills and knowledge
- Strong project management skills, and ability to meet simultaneous deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Labor and employment law experience preferred but not required
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Location: Bethesda, MD
Job date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 07:37:47 GMT
Apply for the job now!