Job title: People and Culture Manager “HR Manager”
Job description: PEOPLE AND CULTURE MANAGER (HR Manager)
As we continue to grow and prepare for upcoming expansion, we are looking for a highly skilled and dynamic People and Culture Manager to join our People Operations team. This position reports to and works closely with the Director of People Operations.
While you will likely be “HR Manager” to many, your role will go beyond compliance and processes to the heart of integrating a people-first approach throughout the organization. You will be responsible for implementing, managing, and refining operations of our People and Culture initiatives as you work alongside executives, managers, and teams throughout the company.
Pay for the People and Culture Manager starts at $70,000-90,000 DOE with some flexibility for a highly skilled candidate. We believe in offering a competitive salary and regular feedback/reviews. If you think you’re worth more and have the skills needed, don’t let pay be the only thing keeping you from applying!
You will start out directly managing a team of 2 full-time generalists and a part-time clerk/assistant functioning at various levels in their roles, including but not limited to: Employee Experience, Talent Acquisition, Leaves and Workers Comp, Compensation & Benefits, Legal/Compliance/Investigations, Organizational Growth, and DE&I processes. Currently not managed by this position are Safety, Payroll, Learning/Development, and People IT/HRIS.
Minimum Essential Duties – Human Resources Manager / Senior Manager:
Your proficiency and length of experience in the below duties will determine starting pay. We are willing to train in various areas listed below if you have overall demonstrated competency in HR and People Operations. A strong California labor law background is essential. Items designated with * below indicate full ownership until proper cross-training can be verified.
- Talent Acquisition: Manages the ATS and recruiting processes (sourcing, recruitment, interviewing, offer, onboarding). Collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings. Fill-in at any point of the process with a high level of competency.
- Benefits*: Manages employee benefit programs including insurance, 401(k), life insurance, ETP, company scrip, and reimbursement programs. Open enrollment, benefit reconciliations, and benefit audits.
- Workers Comp*: Full management of Workers Compensation cases, including follow-up, documentation, recordkeeping.
- Compensation*: Research and present trends in compensation, benefits, and leave; proposes competitive base and incentive pay programs to ensure the organization attracts and retains top talent.
- Workflows: Ensures deadlines and functions of HR are on-time and on-track for both day-to-day activities and special projects, and properly communicated when off-track.
- Policies and Procedures: Enforces company policies, practices, and procedures. Ensures HR SOP’s are current. Stays current on the latest laws, regulations, and best practices related to HR and proposes changes in a timely manner.
- Employee Experience: Assists department managers, leaders, and HR staff with difficult employee situations including: employee discipline, reviews, terminations, investigations, improvement plans, etc. Ensures reviews, raises, and employee check-ins are on-schedule. Escalates sensitive matters to the Director of People Operations. This may involve occasional off-site travel locally or out-of-area.
- Learning & Development: Works with appropriate People Operations team members to recommend and facilitate training for management and employees. Fills in for vacant department leaders to track and report learning to the L&D Project Manager.
- Diversity & Inclusion*: Manages D&I and Harassment Prevention training initiatives with the support of the Corporate Trainer. Ensures trainings are timely and on-schedule, and that D&I initiatives are carried through to completion. Reports any concerns immediately to the Director of People Operations or appropriate upper management.
- People Strategy: Partners with the Director of People Operations and other company leaders to understand and execute the organization’s human resource and talent strategy particularly as it relates to current and future talent needs, recruiting, training, retention, and succession planning.
- Morale: Engages regularly with employees and management across various teams to build and maintain rapport. Manages employee morale programs and makes recommendations to improve morale. Implements approved initiatives.
- General Support: Provides guidance and assists HR staff, trainers, safety personnel, management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise. Escalates sensitive matters appropriately to the Director level or above.
- Leave/ADA/Medical/etc.: Ensures proper leave policies and practices are in place and being followed by managers and HR staff. Directly handles more complex leave matters, escalating upward as needed. Ensures compliance with ADA and directly handles reasonable accommodations and other ADA matters.
- Investigations*: Leads investigations as needed, which may include injuries/accidents, misconduct, complaints, harassment/discrimination/retaliation, and other employment matters. Knows when to involve others and properly escalates. Writes investigation scope and summary documents to present to the Director or above.
- Filing/Organizing/Admin: Manages administrative functions and staff within the Human Resources department. Ensures filing and retention practices are aligned with company policies and systems, recommending changes as needed. Ensures filing/organizing is current and in good order for all HR-related data (both physical and digital).
- Compliance: Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance and offers recommendations in a timely manner. Manages unemployment responses, documentation, reconciliation, communication, and filing.
- Growth: Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Cover: Able to cover downward for any absence or vacancy on the HR team if needed. Also able to cover employee administrative functions for departments that have a leadership gap (Example: R&D dept. works directly with our CEO, so currently you would review timecards and punch change requests for our R&D department).
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Responsibilities – Human Resources Manager:
- Recruits, interviews, recommends hiring, and trains new staff within the department.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Qualifications – Human Resources Manager:
- Must possess impeccable integrity and honesty, and demonstrate a strong work ethic.
- A combination of certification (SHRM/HCRI), Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience in Human Resources or related field are required. 6+ years of human resources experience with increasing responsibilities is desired.
- A minimum of three years of human resource management or equivalent experience required.
- Must be able to drive a company vehicle.
- Must maintain an active and valid driver’s license with no more than 1 point (or CA equivalent of 1 point), no DUI’s on record, and no at-fault accidents.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Maintain a genuinely positive attitude, especially when interacting with employees
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to pass a non-arduous physical for job conditions listed below. Ability to pass an arduous physical is desirable, if possible.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate or escalate them when appropriate.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite or related software (365/Teams preferred).
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS (Paycom), project management (Asana), collaboration (Teams), and talent management systems (Breezy).
Job Conditions – Human Resources Manager:
- Sit and twist (neck or waist) for extended periods of time 8 or more hours per day.
- Frequently walk/stand/bend/squat (3-6 hours per day).
- Occasionally climb/kneel/crawl (up to 3 hours per day).
- Occasionally lift and carry up to 15 lbs., or up to 55 lbs. if passing an arduous physical.
- Able to traverse all locations within the workplace and assigned jobs.
- Constant use of hands 6-8+ hours per day including repetitive use, simple grasping, fine manipulation, and keyboarding.
- Frequent use of hands (up to 6 hours per day) including power grasping, pushing, pulling, and reaching (both above and below the head)
Compensation – Human Resources Manager:
This is a full-time on-site exempt position. Pay begins at $70,000-90,000 depending on your knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience. Initial pay will be based on an established pay scale with an increase possible after 6 months of proven abilities within these scales. All job offers are contingent upon applicant passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, physical, and drug/alcohol screening.
Benefits Include: Group Health and Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Vision Reimbursement Program, Free Residential Internet Service (if you reside in the coverage area), 401k – currently 4% employer match, PTO (Paid Time Off), Employee Assistance Program, and Holiday Pay. To help offset COVID concerns, we are temporarily making Group Medical insurance available on the 1st of the month after your start date. Our facilities include an on-site cafeteria with company lunches/parties, and a dedicated game room.
Location: Chico, CA
Job date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 22:16:54 GMT
Apply for the job now!