Job title: Principal Engineer – In-Building Construction
Job description: When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the world’s leading providers of technology and communications services, transforming the way we connect across the globe. We’re a diverse network of people driven by our shared ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward – and you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What you’ll be doing…
You will be part of the national In-building PMO team interfacing with submarket teams, enterprise sales teams, and senior leadership teams. You will help build the foundation that keeps Verizon in front of the competition. You will be a functional leader managing the implementation of enterprise in-building projects and distributed antenna systems for success-based and private network projects. You will be responsible for implementing private LTE/5G and in-building systems using different OEM equipment based on the technology needs and application requirements. You will also be responsible for gathering information from not only the customer, but also Professional Services (PS), Offer Development (OD), Product, VBG, and RF to develop an execution plan and strategy. You will be an independent, self-starter, self-motivated and be able to work with minimal supervision and accept individual ownership of critical issues working to identify and develop creative solutions and resolutions. You will define and develop processes in order to make deployments more cost-efficient and interact professionally with customers as well as internal stakeholders including sales, solutions architects, product, finance, legal, etc. You will review and provide advice on indoor and outdoor highly complex and technical designs, created both internally and in collaboration with key partners, to ensure they are complete, comprehensive, and accurate. You will develop trusted technical advisor relationships with internal organizations as well as create MOPs, standards, and processes for the successful deployment of these new products. You will also prepare presentations and executive dashboards to communicate project updates to Director/VP level senior leadership. You will be working on the most highly visible and highly critical VBG customers in every submarket, be it enterprise, public sector, business to business, medical, educational, autonomous vehicle, financial institutions, retail, you name it, the IBV team handles it all. These projects are all in different submarkets and each market has a whole new set of stakeholders, be it submarket engineers, Network Assurance engineers, VCP engineers or maintenance engineers.
- Work with RF, VBG, Professional Services (PS), Offer Development (OD) and Product Services to design a private network that meets the customer’s requirements and timeline. Prepare a technical solution tailored to customer specific requirements and use cases.
- Perform real-time modifications and improvements to the scope of a project. Adaptable to change and be able to respond to customers in real time.
- Manage all the internal/external stakeholders and the project from the inception stage to delivery and acceptance of the project.
- Perform site walk and coordinate Xpress bids.
- Supervise the construction and building of the systems.
- Drive cycle time reduction for on-air activations for VBG and On Site LTE/5G projects through collaborative partnerships and creative solutions to deliver.
- Thought leader who is able to identify efficiencies in process and system functionality to streamline activities up through activation.
- Lead project update meetings for leadership and finding creative ways to resolve problems.
- Design equipment room hardware and power/cooling requirements.
- Design rack and equipment layouts.
- Order equipment related to the build.
- Coordinate with control tower on pooling and MR.
- Manage excess available and CIP.
- Work and coordinate the integration and configuration of the equipment with RF, our vendors and Network Assurance.
- Responsible for the financial KPIs for his markets. KPIs include RNP (Received not paid), Match exceptions, and OCNR (Open commitments not received).
- Responsible for coordinating receipt of goods and services received as well as payment to vendors upon successful completion of work.
- Coordinate with all the stakeholders to keep projects moving.
- Have regular sync up calls with various teams to help eliminate bottlenecks.
- Provide periodic updates to Sales Ops and customers and meet deadlines.
- Oversees project plans for IB execution to ensure work is flowing through each system flow within prescribed SLAs.
- Identify opportunities to improve SLAs through collaborative discussion and partner with x-functional teams to implement solutions.
*This role can be located out of any US based Verizon location*
Where you’ll be working…
This hybrid role will have a defined work location that includes work from home and assigned office days as set by the manager.
What we’re looking for…
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Six or more years of technical experience and increasing responsibility (team lead, mentoring, and technical lead for large, multi-technology deployments).
- Construction management experience.
- Willingness to travel up to 25%.
- Valid driver’s license.
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- A degree.
- Experience in building and implementation of DAS systems like Corning, JMA, Commscope, Solid, Spidercloud and DOT systems.
- Experience in building and implementation of Small Cell systems utilizing Ericson, Nokia or Samsung OEM equipment.
- Experience on the design and integration of indoor virtualized 5G networks using Wind River Central Controllers (WRCC).
- Experience building private LTE/5G networks.
- Experience leading, managing and implementing neutral host systems and public safety systems.
- Experience designing and optimizing iBwave projects and ability to create accurate BOMs.
- Experience with DAS provisioning, commissioning, integration and troubleshooting, walk testing and close out packages.
- Experience maintaining and addressing punch list items with vendors in a timely manner for acceptance of the systems.
- Experience working with 3POs and other operators for inbound and outbound collocations on neutral host DAS systems.
- Experience designing rack layouts, cable routing, power requirements etc.
- Experience working with Transport, regulatory and RF teams to coordinate overall implementation of the project.
- Ability to optimize process flows for backend process steps in the project.
- Experience managing project resources, and performing risk assessments and mitigation plans.
- Experience using confluence and JIRA software.
- IBwave Level 3 certification.
- Knowledge of agile methodologies applied to project management.
- Knowledge of LAA, CBRS, 5G products and implementation in enterprise building.
- Knowledge of Ericsson/Nokia/Samsung RAN and transport equipment as well as CAT5/CAT6 based systems like Ericsson DOT and Spidercloud.
- Knowledge of Verizon’s networks, products and services.
- Knowledge of Verizon’s In-building deployment program.
- Experience working with Fuze, Site Tracker and other internal VZ tools.
- PMI, Project Management Certification.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and active listening skills.
- Ability to multitask, detail oriented with strong project management, organization and time.
- The ability to work effectively without direct supervision (i.e., the ability to take high-level direction and proactively move a project or internal initiative from start to finish with minimal assistance).
- Demonstrated expertise in correlating business drivers and needs (financial drivers, impacts, and restrictions) into technical terms on proposed solutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge as well as interest in emerging technologies (e.g., IoT, SDN, NFV).
- Experience with any of the following: cellular WAN technologies and solutions, WAN optimization, Wireless LAN, datacenter technologies (load balancers, datacenter switching, etc.), virtualization technologies and concepts (Hypervisors, orchestration, software defined datacenter, NFV, etc.), security appliances and concepts (firewalls, IPS/IDS, identity management, access controls, etc.).
- Certifications and/or significant exposure in other technical areas such as MCSE, CEH, security, UC, etc.
- Knowledge of propagation and optimization modeling tools such as Atoll, GeoPlan, and iBwave.
- Ability to manage changing priorities, competing priorities, and situations in which guidelines can change.
If Verizon and this role sound like a fit for you, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every “even better” qualification listed above.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer – and celebrate our employees’ differences, including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check out our page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
NYC candidates: Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 for onsite and hybrid NYC roles. Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons). Additional information will be provided during the hiring process.
Location: Rolling Meadows, IL
Job date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 01:31:27 GMT
Apply for the job now!