Job title: Resident Accounting Assistant
Company: Alternatives, Inc
Job description: Job Details
Job Location: Compass (ABC) – Billings, MT
Position Type: Full Time
Education Level: High School
Salary Range: $16.00
Job Shift: Day
Job Category: Accounting
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Minimum two years experience in accounting, bookkeeping, or related experience.
- Must have experience and demonstrate ability in records management.
- Good writing and verbal skills, ability to efficiently use a 10-key and to type 25 words per minute.
- Valid Montana driver license.
- Basic computer skills and experience working with Microsoft Office programs.
- Working experience in the local correctional system.
WORKSITE AND CONDITIONS
Alternatives, Inc. is a non-profit corporation based in Billings, Montana. Since opening in 1980, the organization has provided both residential and non-residential supervision and treatment programs for state and federal inmates in Yellowstone, Carbon, and Stillwater Counties. We promote public safety and challenge offenders to become responsible, productive citizens through firm, fair, consistent supervision, treatment, and education.
STAFF SKILLS AND VALUES
Staff are hired based on key skills and values, including: strong support for offender treatment and a belief that people can change their thinking and in doing so, change their behaviors, empathy, fairness, life experiences, being non-confrontational but firm, problem solving, and prior training or licensure. Indicators may include: observations of staff during the assessment, responses from staff, program director, and program participants, written criteria for job applications, job descriptions, and screening prior to employment
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The current starting salary for the position is $16.00 per hour, although consideration will be given the successful candidate’s experience and educational background.
Permanent full-time employees of Alternatives, Inc. are entitled to sick leave, vacation leave, individual health insurance, and retirement benefits. Alternatives, Inc. participates in the State Workers Compensation and Unemployment Insurance plans.
Permanent part-time employees are entitled to a pro-rata share of benefits based on the percentage of full-time hours worked (full-time = 40 hours per week).
Specific detail regarding benefits will be provided upon request at the time of interview or at the time of hire
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Resident Accounting Assistant is directly accountable to the Accounting Supervisor of Alternatives, Inc.
The Resident Accounting Assistant participates in the day-to-day accounting and bookkeeping needs for Alternatives residents and community service clients. This position works with other Accounting personnel to process and maintain the Agencys resident and community client accounting in compliance with all directives, policies, procedures, laws, regulations and standards.
- All employees of Alternatives, Inc. are responsible for reading and complying with standards and procedures in the following documents:
- Employee Handbook
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Collect and receipt Beta and Misdemeanor (Jail Alternatives) fees, ensuring proper revenue classification.
- Summarize, reconcile, prepare, and deliver daily deposit and deposit report.
- Provide and demonstrate good customer service skills with all internal and external clients and residents. This includes treating all customers with respect, diplomacy, and consistency; and to refer customers to program staff when appropriate. For example, be prepared to explain transactions in a residents account calmly although the resident may be agitated, and refer them to that residents Case Manager, if appropriate.
- Maintain complete and accurate financial records for individual resident accounts, and assist with collective resident account records.
- Participate in the preparation, reconciliation and distribution of resident bi-weekly funds (banking) to include cash, checks, resident services purchases, resident reimbursements, Transitional Living sign off sheets, working the banking window, etc. Reconcile totals distributed to amounts reported in accounting software.
- Process emergency expense requests with a 24-hour notice.
- Process and disburse other resident expense payments that are sent directly to the vendor. For example: jail days, medical payments, restitution, fines, utility bills, etc.
- Update both male and female resident account balances daily for SharePoint.
- Process resident paychecks and prepare and reconcile deposit to accounting records. Calculate and record Federal resident rent based on policy and procedures.
- Track, purchase, and maintain prepaid resident services inventories: bus passes, gas cards, movie passes, phone cards, stamps, etc. This includes bi-weekly and monthly reconciliation of resident services inventories to amounts recorded in accounting software and amounts charged to residents.
- Process the closing of resident accounts upon exit from the program.
- Prepare and distribute bi-weekly and monthly reports and assist with resident statistics.
- Prepare and reconcile monthly billings as assigned. Such billings might include DOC, Federal, USPO and CTS billings.
- Assist with monthly operating reconciliations and preparation of reports for Accounting Manager and Director of Finance.
- Monitor daily bank clearing activities reconciling to accounting software and reporting any discrepancies within that day.
- Count, reconcile, and restock CA emergency cash fund weekly, and on the last day of the fiscal year.
- Communicate residents leaving with bad debt (negative balances), return residents with prior bad debt, and payments of bad debt to the Accounting Manager.
- Support co-Resident Accounting Assistants in resident accounting dutiestrade duties regularly for cross training and maintenance purposes. Cover duties when assigned and necessary to provide consistent and smooth operations at both facilities.
- Maintain filing and organization of paper and electronic records as assigned.
- Arocess the closing of residentnce ttend meetings as assigned.
- The RAA is responsible for informing their supervisor of significant developments related to Alternatives, Inc. Such issues are to be reported expediently, based on his/her assessment of the importance of the issue. Examples include:
- Any resident/client involvement in the legal system or in violation of program rules and regulations.
- Threats of legal action.
- Public Relations problems.
- Resident/client complaints.
- Fraternization issues.
- Medical incidents/accidents.
- Repair requirements on van or facility.
- Schedule changes, leave requests, reporting in sick and any unauthorized departures from the office.
- Any suspected or confirmed violation of agency rules by clients.
- The RAA is expected to report to his/her supervisor in an expedient fashion all areas of noncompliance with program procedures, along with suggested remedial plans or interventions.
- The RAA is expected to be flexible in assuming new duties and schedule changes. He/she is to be creative in establishing or modifying program operation procedures, and obtaining approval of the appropriate authority previous to implementation.
- Assume all other duties as assigned.
Location: Billings, MT
Job date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 00:08:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!