Job title: Senior Accounting Technician
Company: City of Poway
Job description: Definition
Please click the photo below for more information:
Prepares, maintains, and processes payroll, accounting records, financial transactions, and supports accounts payable preparation and processing, when needed. Prepares supporting information for agenda reports and requests for data. The Senior Accounting Technician is also responsible for general support of the Division’s programs and management staff.
Receives direct or general supervision from the Finance Manager or assigned supervisor. Exercises no direct supervision over staff. May provide technical and function direction to lower-level staff.
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Prepares, maintains, and processes accounting records and financial transactions including payroll and accounts payable.
- Processes payroll including reviewing and entering timecards, specialty pay, deductions, tax updates, leave requests and schedules, data entry, paycheck generation, payroll direct deposits; and prepares payroll reports.; resolves inquiries pertaining to payroll, accounts payable, and employee loans administered by the City.
- Maintains confidentiality and handles sensitive information with discretion.
- Processes pay changes and payroll deduction changes such as deferred compensation, withholding for mandated or voluntary deductions including child support, garnishments, charitable deductions or insurance and benefits contributions.
- Computes and processes pay adjustments due to Workers’ Compensation, short-term or long-term disability, leaves of absence, and donated leave.
- Processes retroactive pay adjustments.
- Monitors current MOUs, Salary and Benefits Plans, and IRS regulations for payroll compliance; responds to inquiries regarding payroll procedures, MOU interpretations and tax related filings and deductions.
- Interprets negotiated pay and benefit changes and ensures accurate adjustments of financial enterprise software system functionality resulting from the changes.
- Ensures each element of payroll is accurate and delivered on time.
- Audits and makes correction on all payroll elements as appropriate.
- Reconciles payroll reports to ensure accuracy and completeness of payroll deductions.
- Transmits direct deposit information; prints and distributes checks and direct deposit check stubs.
- Prepares and submits employee and employer taxes and quarterly returns as required by State and Federal law.
- Balances, reviews, and prepares W-2s, periodic tax reports, and a variety of payroll related reports; identifies and resolves discrepancies; prepares fiscal year end reports; processes and enters journal adjustments to the financial system for general ledger posting.
- Prepares appropriate journal entries for payroll.
- Maintains employee leave records and prepares relevant reports.
- Coordinates cash-out and conversion programs including vacation, comp time, sick leave, and flex time.
- Assists with Catastrophic Leave donations, transfers, tracking and use.
- Administers the City’s retirement and supplemental retirement plans including contribution limits and catch-up provisions; processes and monitors all retirement catch up provisions; audits quarterly contribution statements and resolves any discrepancies.
- Interprets a variety of rules, regulations, and laws for payroll compliance.
- Researches and resolves difficult and complex payroll issues.
- Builds and maintains data feeds to outside vendors, including benefit feeds for broker/carrier reporting.
- Consults with the Human Resources department on a variety of issues including new deductions, changes to contribution levels, bargaining group changes, benefit deduction table set-up, leave tables, PERS and PARS tables, and timing of implementation.
- Enters and retrieves information using standard word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Assists customers, departments, and employees by providing specific account information, discrepancies, basic accounting procedures and payroll information as appropriate.
- Generates and assists in the preparation of monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial, summary, and technical reports, as directed.
- Performs general office support duties such as filing record keeping and preparing correspondence.
- Assists professional accounting staff with special projects as required.
- Maintains attendance and punctuality that is observant of scheduled hours on a regular basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements/License or Certificates Required
Five years of experience equivalent to Accounting Technician II in the City of Poway.
Equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade supplemented by two years of college-level coursework (i.e., minimum completed California units = 60 semester/90 quarter) from an accredited educational institution in accounting, finance, or a related field.
Licenses and Certifications:
A valid class C driver’s license or the ability to arrange alternate and timely means of transportation in the performance of assigned duties.
Must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, to operate a motor vehicle and to visit various City and meeting sites; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person, before groups, and over the telephone. This is primarily a sedentary office classification although standing in work areas and walking between work areas may be required. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or calculator and to operate standard office equipment. Positions in this classification occasionally bend, stoop, kneel, reach, push and pull drawers open and closed to retrieve and file information. Employees must possess the ability to lift, carry, push, and pull materials and objects weighing up to 10 pounds.
A FULLY COMPLETED APPLICATION, INCLUDING RESPONSES TO SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS AND ATTACHMENT OF ALL NECESSARY CERTIFICATIONS, ARE REQUIRED AND PART OF THE REVIEW AND QUALIFYING PROCESS. QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED COMPLETELY; REFERENCING YOUR RESUME IN LIEU OF ANSWERING A QUESTION WILL BE CAUSE FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of relevant training and experience as presented in the application and supplemental questions. The following criteria will be used in the screening process: Writing Skills (grammar, spelling, punctuation) – suitable and appropriate for position; Work Experience – consistent, compatible and applicable for the position; and Supplemental Questions – content is inclusive and congruent with the position. The process may include interviews and/or performance tests. Successful candidates will be placed on the eligibility list, which will be in effect for a period of up to six months. A background investigation including LIVESCAN fingerprinting, tuberculosis screening, reference checking, and verification of previous employment and education are required. Applicants will be required to submit verification of the legal right to work in the United States. The City of Poway participates in E-Verify. All employees are required by law to sign a loyalty oath to the United States and the State of California Constitution at time of hire.
Expected salary: $60657.58 – 73728.51 per year
Location: Poway, CA
Job date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 00:24:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!