Job title: Senior Assistant City Attorney (Employment & Labor Law Section) – City Attorney’s Office
Company: City and County of Denver
Job description: About Our Job
Please apply as soon as possible, as this posting may close without notice, once a sufficient number of applications is reached.
The secret is out: The City and County of Denver is not only one of the nation’s top place to live, work, and play, it also made the Forbes list of top employers in Colorado, ranked #10 in the state of Colorado. Being the one of the best places to live and work isn’t easy, and Denver strives to hire the best people to represent our beautiful city. We are seeking people who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this City and have a hand in creating our future. When you join us, you will employ your unique skills to do important and meaningful work critical to the success of both your organization and the City as a whole. #WhereDenverWorks.
The Denver City Attorney’s Office is one of the largest law firms in Colorado, with over 230 attorneys and staff members comprised of paralegals, victim advocates, and other support and supervisory staff members. It may have the most diverse practice of any law firm in Colorado since Denver is a home rule city and county. Clients include the Mayor, City Council, all other elected and appointed officials, all city agencies, departments, boards, commissions, and employees.
We are dedicated to providing an equitable, inclusive, and diverse work environment. Through Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts, we respect and honor our differences, we create a culture of compassion, collaboration, and common purpose of sharing our talents and creativity with each other and the City we serve. We celebrate bringing our whole selves to work every day.
We embrace an environment of compassion, trust, belonging and inclusion where all voices are engaged and respected, and where we nurture the talents of our diverse employees. We are an anti-racist office. We are committed to removing barriers, providing opportunities, supporting everyone by embracing our differences, condemning inequalities and oppression, and respecting everyone’s unique qualities. The successful candidate for this position must demonstrate these core operating principles and work ethic.
The Denver City Attorney’s Office seeks an Assistant City Attorney-Senior for the Employment & Labor Law Section. An Assistant City Attorney-Senior provides legal counsel to City officers and employees, and representation in the defense of legal cases before administrative agencies and trial and appellate courts.
This position and may perform lead work over junior attorneys. We are seeking a seasoned litigator with significant legal experience litigating and advising on employment and labor law matters.
The Employment & Labor Law Section represents Denver, the third largest employer in the State of Colorado, in all employment matters. The attorneys in this section regularly appear in federal and state courts, as well as in administrative hearings.
This Assistant City Attorney-Senior position presents a challenging and rewarding opportunity for an attorney with litigation experience, who thrives in a fast paced, team-oriented and constantly changing environment. The responsibilities for this position include:
- Independently prepares administrative hearings and complex cases for trial, such as those at the federal district court, including development of motions and civil discovery, and represents the City in those proceedings, as well as corresponding appellate briefing and argument
- Negotiates and prepares settlement agreements, ordinances, resolutions, and other legal documents as necessary
- Drafts and prepares memoranda, motions, briefs, and pleadings to be filed in judicial or quasi-judicial proceedings
- Provides City officers and employees with counsel and advice regarding various employment law issues, reviews and prepares discipline and other employment-related letters
- Conducts or assists with legal research
- Assists attorneys working in specialized areas with litigation, research and related activities
- As assigned by the City Attorney, provides City officers and employees with counsel and advice and prepares formal legal opinions on complex matters, in specialized legal areas
- May assist junior attorneys with counseling and litigation activities, issues and procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
Our ideal candidate, in addition to having the required qualifications as listed below, will have at least seven (7) years of civil litigation experience, including:
- Experience as lead counsel in jury and bench trials in federal or state court
- Licenses to practice law in the state of Colorado at the time of application
- Substantial experience in employment law issues that include advising clients on legal issues involving:
- Title VII
- Experience in public sector, civil rights, and constitutional issues
- Experience in appellate proceedings
- Strong written and oral advocacy skills
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Doctor of Jurisprudence degree or Bachelor of Laws degree
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of experience as an attorney at law
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted
- License/Certifications: Possession of a license to practice law in Colorado from the Colorado Supreme Court at the time of application or possession of license from U.S. states that have a reciprocity agreement with the state of Colorado, excluding the following states: California, Delaware, Florida, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, Rhode Island, and South Carolina. The preceding list of non-reciprocal admission jurisdictions is intended to be used only as a guide, as rules and regulations of every jurisdiction are subject to change at any time. Positions with the Denver City Attorney’s Office are dependent upon the rules and regulations in place at the time of application and subsequent hiring
- Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment
To be considered for this position, you must include the following with your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Cover Letter
About Everything Else
Job Profile CL0357 Assistant City Attorney Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click .
Position Type Unlimited
Position Salary Range $122,601.00 – $208,422.00
Starting Pay $123,202 – $184,500/year, based on experience and education
Agency City Attorney’s Office
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click for English or for Spanish.
Expected salary: $123202 – 184500 per year
Location: Denver, CO
Job date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 04:36:10 GMT
Apply for the job now!