Job title: Senior Building Energy Engineer
Job description: Bold thinking leads to transformative change. The world needs big ideas to . That’s where you come in. Align your career with greater purpose at McKinstry.
As a national leader in designing, constructing, operating, and maintaining high-performing buildings. McKinstry provides a single point of accountability across the entire building lifecycle, from new construction and ongoing operations to adaptive reuse, energy retrofits, and advanced renewable energy systems. We get up every day to transform the built environment for the betterment of our clients and our communities.
Never satisfied, we are compelled by our values to eliminate barriers standing in the way of a better-built environment. We design, build, optimize and maintain high-performing facilities.
Here’s where you come in:
Come make an impact! We are currently seeking a Senior Building Energy Engineer to join our team as a member of our growing Rocky Mountain Technical Services division.
You’re great at:
- Analyze utility usage patterns of facilities to establish a baseline and track reductions due to the implementation of conservation measures.
- Keep up to date on industry trends and developing technologies.
- Evaluate new technologies and solutions for their potential to enhance business offerings or efficiency.
- Identify, qualify, and funnel potential new service opportunities to the Business Development team.
- Monitor project status and program objectives in coordination with McKinstry and client expectations.
- Communicate and assist the program manager with presenting reports and program benefits to the client. Act as a technical subject matter expert.
- Communicate savings shortfalls and performance results to relevant broader McKinstry team to provide feedback on the development phase.
- Communicate technical service benefits, monitoring project status and other relevant requirements to stakeholders.
- Facilitate communication internally between the project team and other departments.
- Make presentations to a variety of audiences; act as technical subject matter expert.
- Conduct audits of customer facilities to ensure operating efficiency, optimum air quality, and compliance with the energy policy.
- Conduct pre- and post-measurements and surveys as required for completion of the M&V Plan.
- Coordinate vendors and sub-contractors for completion of the project scope.
- Define and document energy management strategies for customer facilities including “best practice” recommendations.
- Develop and document detailed Measurement and Verification (M&V) plans for energy projects.
- Develop and manage internal and external scope including Key Performance Indicators to evaluate services in comparison to metrics with the goal of delivering projects on time and in budget; update project plans accordingly.
- Develop monitoring processes and services for the completion of the M&V plan.
- Evaluate and communicate project risk with relevant stakeholders.
- Generate reports to document project, service and financial performance.
- Support Technical Services leadership in the financial management of projects; identity, assess and mitigate potential project cost impacts.
- Coordinate with the enterprise platform team and other internal and external resources for implementation and management of product and support services.
- Document best practices and lessons learned to improve the design and operational practices.
- Perform assessment and inventory of energy-using equipment, occupancy patterns, and building control systems.
- Support broader McKinstry team in rebates, award applications, M&V reports, and grant proposals.
- Assist with the development of individual goals for staff and provide performance reviews for assigned staff.
- Provide supervision, mentorship, and motivation to assigned staff as required.
- Work with Department Head and Human Resources for any additions or reductions to the department staff.
- Handle escalated analysis and recommendations from Level 2 Building Energy Analysts. Review work of Levels 1 and 2 Building Energy Analysts to ensure quality is consistent with overall offering strategy.
- Look for and promote cross-functional operational synergies; participate in cross-functional committees and teams.
- Mentor and coach Building Energy Analysts
What we would like to see from you:
- BA/BS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Architecture, Facilities Management or equivalent field of study or equivalent work experience required.
- Knowledge of utility accounting and facility information systems; and how to utilize these systems for analyzing, measuring, and reporting required.
- Ability to identify and quantify the benefit of utility conservation measures required.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel required.
- High-level understanding of commercial buildings’ HVAC, lighting, controls, and envelope required.
- Measurement and Verification experience required.
- Four (4) years of experience in energy management, HVAC commissioning, data analysis preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook and Project required; working knowledge of SharePoint preferred.
- Experience with visualization tools like Tableau or PowerBI required.
- Experience with R, SQL, or Python preferred.
- Certifications preferred: CEM, BOC, CMVP, etc.
- Hands-on operator level experience with building automation systems is preferred.
- Knowledge of change management/continuous improvement practices preferred.
Transformational change requires bold action. We must decarbonize our buildings and energy assets to combat climate change. We must tackle the affordability crisis by innovating waste out of our supply chain and dramatically cutting costs through improved productivity. We must deliver equitable outcomes to ensure healthy, high-performing buildings for all.
represent our most valued asset. By investing in our employees, we are also investing in the ongoing success of our company. We pride ourselves on offering a comprehensive, PeopleFirst benefits package to promote health and wellness, enhance work/life balance and ensure long-term stability for our employees and their families. Some of these benefits include:
Competitive pay backed by 401(k) and profit-sharing plans.
Comprehensive medical, prescription drugs, vision, and dental.
Up to 16 weeks of paid parental leave.
Adoption and IVF assistance.
Paid time off.
McKinstry University training and development.
McKinstry wellness programs and on-site gyms.
Community service and employee-directed charitable giving.
The pay range for this position in Colorado is $69,300 – $109,980 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. A bonus may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the position offered. This information is provided per the Colorado Equal Pay Act. Base pay information is based on market location.
The McKinstry group of companies are equal opportunity employers. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, race, color, creed, marital status, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to employment, advancement, assignment, and training. This commitment to Equal Employment Opportunity is made equally as a social responsibility and as an economic and business necessity.
McKinstry is a drug-free workplace. Employment is contingent upon successfully passing a pre-employment drug and alcohol test, complying with the requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act and a Confidentiality Agreement, in addition to successful outcomes of background and reference checks.
Applicants for this role will only be considered if they possess current US Work Authorization, and do not require employer-sponsored VISA support to begin or remain in this role.
Expected salary: $69300 – 109980 per year
Location: Denver, CO
Job date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 03:52:54 GMT
Apply for the job now!