Job title: Senior Building Inspector
Company: Town of Addison
Job description: Summary
Under general supervision of the Building Official, conducts on-site inspections of new additions, alteration, remodels, and group-up projects for both commercial and residential construction components to determine compliance with applicable codes, laws, and ordinances.
Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include any of the following representative duties, knowledge, and skills. This list is ILLUSTRATIVE ONLY and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and duties performed by incumbents of this class. Employees are required to be in attendance and prepared to begin work at their assigned work location on the specified days and hours. Factors such as regular attendance at the job are not routinely listed in job descriptions but are an essential function. Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performs inspections of commercial and residential construction projects to determine conformance with building, electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and fire laws, codes, ordinances, and regulations; responds to and investigate complaints and reports of unpermitted work.
- Records inspection results; researches manufacturer products; verifies contractor trade licenses.
- Posts inspection results and data in the department computer system; researches building materials and information; provides contractors and other interested parties with inspection results.
- Reads and interprets building codes, ordinances, plans, statutes, lab and engineering reports, blueprints and other similar documents.
- Reviews plans and permits to verify compliance with various codes.
- Prepares a variety of reports, correspondence, memos, and other documents.
- Communicates codes, ordinances, and regulations to residents, the public, contractors, developers, property owners, and other involved parties.
- Performs inspections for special events to ensure the safety of electrical systems and identify potential hazards.
- May be asked to perform additional job duties that are directly, indirectly or completely unrelated to normal job functions in the course of presenting certain Town special events.
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
Education, Training, and Experience Guidelines
High school diploma or GED equivalent; AND five (5) years of experience in the inspection industry; OR an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relations with fellow employees, Town officials, and outside contacts. Safe driving record. Clear criminal background check and clear pre-employment drug screen. ICC certified inspectors are preferred and will receive a priority consideration.
- Safety policies, procedures, and practices.
- Plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and building codes.
- Applicable local, State, and Federal laws, codes, regulations, and ordinances.
- Interpreting and explaining construction related codes, standards, regulations, and ordinances and the need for compliance.
- Reading and interpreting construction related blueprints, schematics, and drawings.
- Completing mathematical calculations.
- Enforcing building codes tactfully and professionally.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Communicating effectively both verbally and in writing.
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
A valid Texas Driver’s License is required. Must be a Texas licensed plumbing inspector or must obtained the license within three (3) months of appointment. A candidate that is ICC Residential and Commercial Combination Building Inspector certified is preferred.
This is an exempt position; incumbent will be expected to work whatever hours are necessary to complete responsibilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment and in the field at construction sites. Work requires some physical exertion and possible exposure to extreme weather conditions. May be required to climb ladders and lift objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
This job description is not an employment agreement, contract agreement, or contract. Management has exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice.
The Town of Addison is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services.
Expected salary: $68395.65 – 82074.89 per year
Location: Addison, TX
Job date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 23:01:58 GMT
Apply for the job now!