Job title: Senior Director, First Mile Inbound Transportation
Job description: Job Description
Transportation is a key enabler of Nordstrom’s supply chain. Inbound Transportation is the engine that powers our fulfillment network to serve our stores and our digital customers by flowing our products from international and domestic factories and vendor locations through the “first mile” to our distribution and fulfillment centers in a highly reliable manner.
Reporting directly to the SVP Transportation, this position supports a team of five direct reports and an organization of 25-30 Transportation professionals. This role provides strategic and operational direction, coaching and mentoring to our International and Domestic First Mile organization while building and developing winning teams in a diverse and inclusive culture. Developing the organization to create a strong culture of accountability, continuous learning and personal growth is critical aspect of this role —reinforcing Nordstrom’s position as an employer of choice for logistics and supply chain talent.
This is a highly visible role within Nordstrom that requires a seasoned operational leader who easily balances the need for near term results with longer-term capability building. The role requires a highly proactive individual with strong emotional intelligence, curiosity, and expertise in driving effectiveness and efficiency at scale. Success in this role comes through outstanding collaboration in the management of our supply chain, JWN’s business objectives, and serving customers. This hybrid role will ideally be based in either our Seattle or Chicago-area hubs and travel to frequently to JWN sites (approx. 20%-30% is expected).
A day in the life…
- Setting the short-term priorities and long-term strategic goals for the transportation organization related to global and domestic first mile inbound freight.
- Providing a balance of hands-on operational leadership while driving high-impact improvements and operational excellence: service, cost, quality, and sustainability.
- Ensuring the right KPIs and metrics, and goals are in place. Leveraging data-driven insights to improve performance today and build capabilities for the future.
- Participation on and sponsorship of technical and business process initiatives with internal and external partners.
- Consistent, proactive communication and engagement with key stakeholders: Merchandising, Planning, DC and FC Operations, Vendors, Store Operations, Product Management, Tech, JWN Finance, and Logistics Service Providers.
- Supporting the Inbound Transportation team, providing the leadership, resources, structure, and guidance they need to be successful.
- Representing First Mile/Inbound Transportation in key SC and JWN tactical and strategic forums
- Partnering with vendors and service providers to ensure they meet or exceed JWN standards
You own this if you have…
- 15+ years of international transportation, customs compliance, and multi-modal domestic transportation experience: sourcing and procurement processes, operational execution, service provider relationship and performance management, freight audit and payment processes. Extensive knowledge of broader supply chain operations and strong business acumen. Retail experience preferred.
- 10+ years leading teams in multi-sites/remote environment. Proven leadership skills and ability in fast-paced, complex transportation and logistics networks. TMS implementation experience is a plus.
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate team members to best-in-class performance standard.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills. Comfortable with front-line associates or C-level executives and easily adjusts personal communication style as needed to be effective.
- Recognizes the importance of effective relationships for success. Invests in building and maintaining them across the organization and externally with service providers.
- A servant leader and coach who sets clear expectations, then empowers and enables their teams to be successful.
- Proven success in building operational excellence through data-driven decisions and analytical insights.
- Demonstrated success at identifying, developing, and retaining organizational talent
- Data-driven curiosity, analytical approach, and demonstrated results driving improvements through metrics.
- Ability to work under pressure to deliver against multiple priorities and deadlines.
- Naturally collaborative approach, comfortable working across teams and functions to deliver results the right way.
- Strong teamwork and influencing/negotiating skills with both internal and external organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience; Graduate degree preferred: MBA, Supply Chain Management, or Engineering.
We’ve got you covered…
Our employees are our most important asset and that’s reflected in our benefits. Nordstrom is proud to offer a variety of benefits to support employees and their families, including:
- Medical/Vision, Dental, Retirement and Paid Time Away
- Life Insurance and Disability
- Merchandise Discount and EAP Resources
A few more important points…
The job posting highlights the most critical responsibilities and requirements of the job. It’s not all-inclusive. There may be additional duties, responsibilities and qualifications for this job.
Nordstrom will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with all legal requirements.
Applicants with disabilities who require assistance or accommodation should contact the nearest Nordstrom location, which can be identified at .
© 2022 Nordstrom, Inc
Current Nordstrom employees: To apply, log into Workday, click the Careers button and then click Find Jobs.
Location: Seattle, WA
Job date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 02:57:15 GMT
Apply for the job now!