Job title: Senior Manager, Tax Accounting
Job description: Founded in 1921 and publicly traded since 1925, Newmont ( ) is one of the largest gold companies in the world. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company has approximately 24,000 employees and contractors, with the majority working at Newmont’s core operations in the United States, Australia, Ghana, Peru and Suriname. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for host communities and shareholders.
About this role
What you will be responsible for?
Reporting directly to the Global Tax Accounting Director, the Senior Manager is responsible for the following:
- Responsible for consolidating the Company’s global ASC 740 quarterly and annual tax provision; includes review of regional tax accounting teams computations; lead issue resolution, and coordination with worldwide accounting consolidation efforts.
- Provide quality control review of regional tax inputs into the budget/forecast.
- Create KPI tax summary reports and tax reporting within GAAP financial statements.
- Analyze and interpret trends and variances vs prior budgets/plans; Analyze and report forecast/budget information, working closely with tax leadership to prepare executive-level presentations.
- Orchestrate the quarterly tax accounting & forecast process by coordinating dates, reporting deliverables, and acting as a key contact for the regional tax teams.
- Develop communication and training materials to educate team on ASC 740 technical application.
- Drive continuous improvement of systems, processes, and reporting; facilitate sharing of best practices and information.
- Provide ad hoc reporting and analysis to tax senior leadership and finance leaders to support management decision making.
Your role will consist of
Here is a snapshot of what your day to day will look like:
Guide the preparation and review of the US tax provision; consolidate the Company’s worldwide quarterly and annual ASC 740 tax provisions and tax-related financial statement disclosures through. Includes, but not limited to:
- We coordinate the integration and timing of regional and worldwide tax provision efforts and serving as primary liaison with external auditors.
- We review all regional (Argentina, Australia, Canada, Ghana, Mexico, Peru, Suriname, and US) quarterly and annual income tax account reconciliations.
- We review and maintain U.S. tax basis balance sheet and tax attribute schedules used in the analysis of valuation allowance management.
- We ensure critical Internal controls, system documentation and process job aids existed for BPC and financial reporting deliverables.
- We partner with accounting to identify and resolve sophisticated tax accounting issues/matters and serving as the tax review for related accounting complexities, significant transactions, and tax related footnote disclosures.
- We produce quarterly updates to the audit committee on the company’s tax situation including effective tax rate projections, cash tax projections, and legislative developments.
Support the Newmont Business Planning group in the development of tax accurate business plans, forecasts, budgets, and regional and worldwide cash tax forecasts.
- Role is globally focused on coordinating key tax accounting and budget/forecast deliverables & acting as a lead in customer service for regional tax accounting teams.
- We apply US GAAP knowledge to budgeted financials and ad hoc financial analysis, acting as a subject matter authority to ensure financial integrity and accuracy prior to Senior Management review.
- We coordinate and analyze data and assumptions that drive forecast/plan results.
- We perform conventional planning practices including researching and analyzing trends.
- We communicate and support the forecast/planning process as well as analytical results in both verbal and written form to Planning leadership and other functional teams.
Assist regions in resolving Longview tax accounting issues by educating teams on resolutions for commonly occurring data validation errors, in addition to irregular data issues where consolidation expertise is needed.
- We assume leadership role working with regional Tax accounting leads in identifying and driving continuous improvement of our BPC and Longview applications.
- We function as the key subject matter authority, contact, administrator and educator of the Tax Accounting software, Longview Tax.
Act as technical accounting advisor related to income tax accounting matters and complexities – including the identification of accounting conclusions with income tax accounting implications and stand-alone tax transaction ASC 740 accounting considerations working closely with tax.
- We provide accounting input/review of uncertain tax positions, valuation allowances, and deferred position existence and completeness for all jurisdictions globally as the primary accounting business partner for tax.
- We participate in the working group for the creation of new tax strategies alongside tax function (for consolidation/legal entity/accounting/disclosure considerations).
- We assist with the implementation and disclosure of new ASC 740-related tax accounting rules.
- We assist Global Tax Accounting Director with accounting issues encountered at the regions, including resolution and documentation.
- We work with the Research and Planning group to resolve and detail the financial statement impacts associated with transactions, the implementation of tax planning initiatives, and mergers and acquisitions.
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
Your training, skills, and experience checklist
Here is what we would need to see from you!
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Tax, Business, or related field. Masters in Accounting or Masters in Taxation is highly beneficial.
- CPA required.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with large public company financial statement audits or tax provisions.
- Experience in the Mining or Natural Resource industry is a plus.
- Experience required in working with global teams and interacting with management.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to influence and inspire change at multiple levels across the organization.
- Strong analytic and synthesis skills; strong understanding of financial data and meaningful application of ASC 740 accounting principles.
- Strong MS Excel skills, including multifaceted financial modelling and other tool development.
- Knowledge of LongView is a plus.
- Requires strong acumen in accounting, business and planning concepts and methodologies including corporate accounting and consolidation.
- Ability to communicate and present information required – translate financial and data driven information into presentations.
- SAP ECC, S/4 HANA, and BPC systematic skills a plus.
- Identified strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team-oriented environment and a prominent level of motivation.
- Requiring minimal direction/supervision, and firm diplomacy imperative.
Working conditions and location
Where you will be located!
- The position is in the Denver, CO Corporate Office with a hybrid schedule of remote and onsite work.
- Working in our inclusive environment, telephone calls or other meetings may take place before and/or after normal local business hours to accommodate other regions’ work schedules and priorities.
- We may ask you to travel both domestically and internationally to our various regional sites.
The salary range offered for this role is $113,520 – 148,995. The salary range is tied to the Colorado market for jobs performed in Colorado. The salary offer to the successful candidate will be based on job-related education, training, and/or experience. The salary offer will not be based on a candidate’s salary history at other jobs, and by law, Newmont will not seek information about salary history, and candidates should not share such information with Newmont.
This role will be eligible for participation in a discretionary annual bonus program, pursuant to which an employee may be awarded a percentage of their salary based on the company’s performance and their own individual performance.
Newmont offers a competitive and inclusive benefits package to support physical, mental, financial and emotional wellbeing. This role will be eligible for the following benefits: Medical, prescription drug, dental, and vision insurance; flexible spending accounts; health savings accounts; life and accidental death and dismemberment insurance; short and long-term disability; 401(k) program with company match; pension; financial planning; employee assistance program (EAP); adoption assistance; dependent scholarship program; tuition reimbursement; paid holidays and paid time off; paid family leave; matching gifts; and discounts on home, auto and pet insurance. All bonuses and benefits are subject to the applicable eligibility and program/plan terms and may be modified or terminated at Newmont’s sole discretion.
Consistent with Newmont’s values of safety and responsibility, we believe that COVID-19 vaccination is a critical tool to fight this pandemic and protect the health and safety of Newmont’s workforce and the communities in which we work and live. With the wide availability of vaccines in the United States, if you are offered this position, you will have to show proof of a COVID-19 vaccine prior to being hired. This requirement will be subject to an exemption process, as required by law. Newmont may update its vaccination policies/requirements at any time in its sole discretion.
Expected salary: $113520 – 148995 per year
Location: Denver, CO
Job date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 22:22:04 GMT
Apply for the job now!