Job title: Senior Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Merchant, Platform and Wallets Engineering)
Job description: Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Affirm’s vision is to deliver honest financial products that improve lives. In the US now, Affirm now covers half of all ecommerce volume and has access to nearly all buyers. Our mission, as part of the Merchant and Platform Engineering team, is to grow Affirm’s revenue by helping Merchants and Partners acquire and retain valued customers with industry leading, innovative Buy Now Pay Later POS checkout experiences. We are just getting started. Come be a part of a team shaping the future!
In this role as a Senior Staff Engineer, you will be responsible for providing technical leadership across Merchant and Platform teams supporting large cross-functional programs. You will be developing, best in industry, systems architecture, frameworks and platforms that enable frictionless checkout conversion and scaling integration of our partners into new global markets. The ideal candidate will be passionate about fostering a culture of engineering excellence and innovation, unafraid to roll up their sleeves with engineers with a proven track record of delivering results.
What you’ll do
- Collaborates and makes technical proposals across several teams on their engineering work, and helps their team members make informed decisions in alignment with the organization’s strategic plans
- Interfaces with Engineering Managers and Senior management, and enables Staff Engineers to engage on aspects of larger initiatives
- Supports engineers and develops frameworks for detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, task break-down, and delivery.
- Guides conversations to remove blockers and encourage collaboration across teams
- Develop and measure Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) to improve KPIs for platform resilience, developer experience and time to market. Plan improvements and features with a 6 month view
- Conducts technical and soft skill evaluations to inform and influence the hiring decisions of engineers and managers
- Teach, mentor, grow, and provide advice to other domain experts, individual contributors, across several teams in the organization
- Demonstrate humility to admit mistakes and grow from failures and build a culture of continuous improvement
- Serve as a point of escalation for teams facing complex technical challenges. Exposes technology and organizational needs throughout their department.
- Looks for innovation opportunities between several teams with a willingness to experiment and to boldly confront problems of large complexity and scope
- Proposes and implements technical solutions which support architectural changes that solve scaling and performance problems.
- Knowledgeable in all specialities practiced within the teams
- Interact with customers and other external stakeholders as a consultant and spokesperson for the work of your organization. Exposes the work of the teams and their business impact internally.
What we look for
- Demonstrated experience in architecting, building and scaling platforms and distributed systems that require high availability, resilience and meeting stringent SLO objectives is required.
- Experience with building microservices in Python/Kotlin/Golang is required
- Experience with AWS solution is required
- Experience working with modern frontend frameworks (eg. React/Vue.js/Angular) is required
- Experience with developing and maintaining external facing APIs and developer portals is required
- Experience with streaming APIs and ML models, pipelines is preferred
- Experience in open source contributions and adopting cloud native cloud foundations projects is preferred
- Experience with Fintech, Retail industries for both B2C and B2B (merchants/affiliates) marketing and personalization capabilities is desirable.
Location – Remote U.S.
Grade – 32
Affirm is proud to be a ! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
All full-time jobs at Affirm (excluding interns and apprentices) are tied to a transparent grade-based pay range taking location into account.
[Colorado Candidates] In accordance with , the grade for this position in Colorado is listed above. You can find the Colorado base pay range and benefits .
If you got this far, we hope you’re feeling excited about this role. Even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to meet people who believe in Affirm’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways-not just candidates who check all the boxes.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program and our progress thus far in our .
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.
By clicking “Submit Application,” you acknowledge that you have read the , or the for applicants applying from the European Union, and hereby freely and unambiguously give informed consent to the collection, processing, use, and storage of your personal information as described therein.
Job date: Sat, 16 Jul 2022 22:03:44 GMT
Apply for the job now!