Job title: Software Engineering Director – Artificial Intelligence, Automation Accelerator
Company: The Travelers
Job description: Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Category Technology
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range $116,500.00 – $192,200.00
Target Openings 2
What Is the Opportunity? Travelers is seeking a Director of Software Engineering to join our Artificial Intelligence and Automation Accelerator organization as we grow and transform our Technology landscape. We continue to drive adoption of innovative tools and technology within the Automation – AI continuum and are looking for a candidate to help lead this effort.
This role will lead the delivery and execution of existing Automation opportunities while setting the future technical direction and strategy inclusive of but not limited to incorporating Artificial Intelligence into the teams, review of current and available tools in the marketplace, and coding patterns and practices.
This role requires flexibility, passion to learn, and creativity in applying novel technology to all aspects of the business.
This position may be posted 100% remotely or in one of of our offices.
What Will You Do?
- Manage a team of Automation and Software Engineers across several agile teams as they design, develop, and support the business partners with a mission to drive long-term value.
- Represent the organization as the primary technical contact for all things Automation. Inclusive of tools, technologies, products, and best practices
- Establish short- and long-term technology roadmaps for the Automation organization.
- Demonstrate technical strength daily by providing technology thought leadership and software engineering assistance to the development teams. This is inclusive of partnering with team members in breaking down business features / stories following agile best practices.
- Plan and oversee the organizations shift to cloud technology / SaaS products
- Manage people and financial relationships with multiple vendor and software products within the Automation domain.
- Partner with peers in the Artificial Intelligence domain to identify opportunities for commonality, reuse, and advancement of technology in the AI and Automation space.
- Work with Team Lead / Product Management to define, prioritize, and ensure a ready backlog of work for an agile product team, accept technical output, and focuses on achievement of defined outcomes.
- Effectively manage a backlog of deliverables and capabilities as well as ‘test and learn’/experimentation targeted at defining/refining future deliverables, measuring performance, and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as needed.
- Partner with broader software engineering excellence groups in shaping technology best practices for the team.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Seven years of programming/development experience plus two years prior technical leadership experience preferred.
- Delivery – Advanced delivery skills including the ability to examine and assess the effectiveness of software design strategies and methodologies across an organization, the ability to devise, apply, and share ways to ensure the quality, production readiness, and continued health of complex computer systems, the ability to incorporate awareness and understanding of work happening outside of the team, and the ability to develop widely used technical metrics that enable engineers to better understand and deliver their work.
- Domain Expertise – Demonstrated track record of domain expertise including the ability to leverage expertise to improve company level capabilities within domain, consult on business priorities and optimize value by identifying business aligned solutions and thoughtfully and practically introduce concepts and technologies from the industry.
- Problem Solving – Strong problem solver who creates architecture that is particularly robust against single points of failure, both in terms of systems and people and looks ahead 6-12 months to identify areas of need and turns this into action.
- Communication – Strong communicator who possesses the ability to describe technology concepts in ways the business can understand, document effectively so that systems/architectures can be maintained or built upon, collaborate across disparate groups, helping to identify common goals and gain consensus, adapt language to meet the needs of various levels of technical and non-technical audiences and model and assist others in the practice of mindful communication, active listening, and messaging.
- Leadership – Advanced leadership skills including the ability to leverage internal networks across engineering and engage with other leaders to solve problems and develop strong credibility throughout the company as well as choose the most critical engineering challenges and work to improve the entire engineering organization by teaching others and sharing knowledge while creating opportunities for others to showcase and develop skills.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field, or its equivalent in work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in enterprise, application, and/or information architecture.
- 5+ years of designing/implementing experience required including at least 1 year of Intelligent Automation (RPA) development/architecture experience.
- Prior experience leading a team is a plus. Ideally, 2+ years leading and/or managing development teams in an agile based development environment.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members – including spouses, domestic partners, and children – are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you’re eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit .
Expected salary: $116500 – 192200 per year
Location: Hartford, CT
Job date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 02:46:30 GMT
Apply for the job now!