Job title: Special Education Assistant – CLASS – Olson Middle School
Company: Minneapolis Public Schools
Job description: Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: Special Education Assistant – CLASS – Olson Middle School and Requisition ID number: 91986
Close Date: Open until filled
Organizational Unit: Olson Middle (10000080)
Site: Olson (0318)
FTE: 76.25 FTE; 30.5 hours per week; this is based on full-time equivalency with 1.0 being full time
Functional Area: Paraprofessional
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
Following July 15th, current MPS Special Education Assistants are ineligible for voluntary transfers within their job title through the end of the school year. The SEA transfer process for the following school year will reopen in early spring. (MFT #59 Contract Article 20.3)
Coordinated Learning for Academic & Social Success (CLASS)
Program serving students in grades three to eight who require more intensive special education services for 60 – 100% of the day due to significant discrepancies from grade-level peers in most or all academic skills. The CLASS programs are tailored to meet individual needs and generally include a focus on basic academic skills. Some students may also have language, social skills or behavioral goal areas on their Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Under general supervision, provides a variety of services to assist students with special needs in a learning environment; assists MPS staff to develop and implement appropriate individualization lessons and activities for students with disabilities; helps students to meet their therapy and education goals.
- Provide support services to children with moderate to severe disabilities and Assist MPS staff to facilitate educational functions and other services that maintains a safe and productive learning environment, sensitive to the needs and legal rights of Special Education students; work with students to improve personal skills and reinforce classroom learning.
- Assist students in learning processes through reinforcement of positive behavior, individual instruction, socialization and good communications.
- Monitor student activities, promote respect, explain social norms and disciplinary consequences, de-escalate personal confrontations.
- Maintain behavior documentation, written observations and anecdotal information files for Support and Advocacy for Independent Living Program (SAIL), Individualized Education Program (IEP), and Functional Behavioral Assessments (FBA).
- Monitor work, correct papers and transition students for medications, meals, buses and classes.
- Attend to and provide for students’ daily hygiene, personal and health related cares, as directed by licensed staff. Assist students in community, recreational, school and vocational training. Provide assistance to students in classrooms and after-school programs.
Intervention SEA: Provide support in the least restrictive environment so students are successful in resource settings; ensure behavior support plans are being implemented with fidelity for students in special education resource settings. Personal transportation is required as position may vary.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Completion of 90 quarter or 60 semester college credits in Education, Child Development, Behavioral Sciences or educational area related to position assignment
A passing score of 460 (or higher) on the ParaPro Assessessment AND either a high school diploma or a GED certificate (For more information on the ParaPro Assessment, contact Educational Testing Service at 1-800-772-9476 or www.ets.org/parapro)
Two years of experience working with children. Additional education or training may substitute for experience, at the discretion of Human Resources. Related experience may also be considered, at the discretion of Human Resources.
Associate’s degree in Education or a related field.
Experience in working with individuals with disabilities
LICENSE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
First Aid/CPR/AED, Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training, and Special Education Orientation is required within one year.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
A job in this category may require walking or standing to a significant degree, and working with special needs children. Must be able to frequently lift up to 50 pounds. Eligibility for position is based on passing the required pre-placement exam.
Final candidates may be invited to interview with a committee. Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status, or veteran status.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Posting Notes: | [No Established Closing Date] | Olson Middle (10000080) | Olson (0318) | Paraprofessional
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Job date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 22:59:54 GMT
Apply for the job now!