Job title: Sr. Building Engineer
Company: The City of Redmond
Job description: JOIN REDMOND!
The City of Redmond is a thriving, culturally diverse community and home to over 72,000 residents. Redmond is the hub to an array of commerce and industry ranging from technology, aerospace and gaming to biomedical and innovation start-ups.
With all of our smart growth and innovation, our Senior Building Engineer is a vital part of our Planning and Community Development department. In this role, you will work on code compliance for structural stability of complex and unique structures in Redmond. This position is responsible for a broad range of advanced level plan review related to the enforcement of commercial building codes adopted in the Redmond Municipal Code.
Being on our team at the City of Redmond will give you the unique experience of working on a wide-range of development projects that will grow your own skills as our community continues to grow and change. You will have a chance to work on large commercial campuses for some of the biggest companies in the world as well as residential sub-divisions. And you will join a team who is an integral part of ensuring that as our bioregion continues to grow in population, Redmond stays at the forefront of environmental stewardship and smart, progressive, sustainable development.
Before we talk more about the position and some of the key skills we’re looking for, we think it’s important you learn more about who we are and what we stand for in the Planning and Community Development department at the City of Redmond.
We work in service of the community. We are responsible not only to the citizens and businesses who call Redmond home today but to future generations. So, our team is unified by the spirit of this principle and apply it to our day-to-day work whether it is answering questions from the community or reviewing private development plans and making decisions around building and construction activities that will have far-reaching environmental, social, and economic impacts.
We believe in promoting and developing from within. In our department charter is the promise to our employees that we guarantee to train you to the best of our abilities to be competitive here or at other places so that you can meet your own professional goals.
We embrace and embody cultural humility. Our team is culturally diverse and so we know how the practice of understanding how our personal backgrounds and the backgrounds of others impact and inform our work, civic engagement, and the role of planning, development, and community services.
This position has a flexible/hybrid option, offering 1-2 days per week of remote/teleworking.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
About the Job
If selected for this position, these are just a few of the key job duties you will perform:
- Review plans, calculations, specifications and other documents for completeness of information, accuracy, and conformance with local, state and federal codes and regulations.
- Communicate technical and code requirements to applicants and their consultants.
- Prepare checklists and identify required corrections to meet codes and standards, and request additional information when needed using both written and verbal communication.
- Determine need for review and coordination with other departments and divisions in the City.
- Advise owners, engineers, architects and contractors on the permit process and plan review procedures.
- Attend meetings with owners, engineers, architects and contractors to assist them in the process for review and approval of their submittals.
- Provide interpretations of the adopted building codes and standards.
- Assist building inspectors with field questions.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field.
- Seven (7) years of engineering experience which includes three years of project administration and management responsibilities.
- Five (5) or more years of recent and continuous experience in the plan review and/or design of building structures preferred.
- A combination of the education and experience that would provide the applicant with desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
Certifications and Licenses
- Professional Engineer’s License.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License and a driving record that meets city standards.
- Ability to obtain a Commercial Building Plans Examiner certification within six (6) months of date of hire preferred.
This position is currently covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Please review the classification description for more information about the knowledge, skills, abilities, working conditions, and physical requirements.
The City of Redmond offers an excellent benefits package including:
- MEDICAL INSURANCE – Choice of two plans for employees and their eligible dependents: Premera or Kaiser Permanente. All employee premiums are paid for the City of Redmond!
- PRESCRIPTION DRUG INSURANCE – Included with each medical plan
- DENTAL INSURANCE – For employees and their eligible dependents
- VISION INSURANCE – For employees and their eligible dependents
- OTHER INSURANCE – Life, accidental death & dismemberment insurance, short and long-term disability, optional employee-paid voluntary life insurance
- FLEXIBLE SPENDING ACCOUNTS – For tax savings on healthcare and dependent care expenses
- PAID VACATION & HOLIDAYS – with (13) paid holidays per year
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (EAP)
- RETIREMENT PLANS – Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) PERS plus additional options that include: Municipal Employees Benefit Trust (Social Security replacement plan) and MetLife 457 Plan
- Annual COLA adjustments
- Annual merit increases of up to 5%
- Free ORCA Card
Please visit to learn about benefits at the City of Redmond
- It his highly encouraged to apply by 7/25/22. At this time, reviews will begin and top candidates will be contacted to participate in the next phase of selection process, which may include testing, video screening, and/or an interview.
- Interviews are schedule for 8/2/22. Anticipated start date for this position will be 9/6/22 or sooner.
- All applicants will be notified of their application status.
- Note, the City may review existing application pools to fill this position or use this pool to fill future vacancies.
Please visit to learn about benefits at the City of Redmond
Benefit rates are subject to change without notice due to federal and state mandates and contractual changes as applicable.
Expected salary: $104928 – 141660 per year
Location: Redmond, WA
Job date: Sat, 02 Jul 2022 06:38:52 GMT
Apply for the job now!