Job title: Telecommunications/Emergency Dispatch 2021 – continuous
Company: City of O’Fallon, Illinois
Job description: Description
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Uses a computer-aided dispatch system to receive emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services. A career in emergency communications can be fast-paced, challenging & rewarding. To ensure that all potential applicants understand and appreciate both the rewards and demands of the profession, a checklist has been developed to outline these details and each applicant is required to sign off on having read through this list.
Training rate of pay: $18.00 per hour
Hourly rate thereafter set based on collective bargaining (full-time): $25.05
Applicant pool reviewed periodically; Job Specific Assessment is coordinated approximately every three months. Invitations are sent via email when that goes live.
The primary duties of the position include (but are not limited to): determine the nature and location of the emergency; determine priorities, and dispatch police, fire ambulance or other emergency units as necessary (ranging from routine to critical) and in accordance with established procedures; manages situations as conditions change; perform Emergency Medical Dispatch and crisis intervention including pre-arrival instructions using available resources; receive and process 911 emergency calls, maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of local police and fire units; monitor direct emergency alarms, answer non-emergency calls for assistance; enter, update and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems; receive & respond to requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provides pertinent data; monitor several complex public safety radio frequencies; operate a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones and computer systems; other duties as required to support the Metro-East Communications Center and Public Safety Department.
- High School diploma or equivalent AND 2 years of progressively more responsible work experience; additional education/training a plus;
- Preference may be given to those certified in the use of the 911 Telephone system, Emergency Medical Dispatch, LEADS, REJIS; ability to learn in-house computer systems is needed;
- Reliability and regular attendance – ability and willingness to work 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts (including evenings & weekends) and working over when needed;
- 40 words per minute typing speed;
- Ability to speak English clearly and accurately, have normal visual acuity and meet NEMA hearing standards;
- Ability experience to comfortably and productively use computers such as word processing, spreadsheet and database software and ability to quickly learn how to use specialized dispatch software (Aegis from New World);
- Ability to use a multi-function telephone, fax machine, copy machine, calculator, and other office equipment;
- Must maintain strict confidentiality and be able to work independently;
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to efficiently and courteously interact with people;
- Ability to calmly multi-task dispatch services and provide crisis intervention: collect necessary information from callers and officers; simultaneously dispatch public safety personnel, search for information, accept telephone/radio calls, assist callers, as needed when an emergency arises.
- Complete Job Preview Checklist to accompany application. Visit
to complete it.
- Be sure to include three references with your application
- If you have taken any applicable training, attach a copy of the certificate or transcript to your application.
- Your completed Job Preview Checklist (see above) will be uploaded by Human Resources to be considered as part of your application materials.
NOTE: This posting will provide for ongoing recruitment for 2021-2022 and will be reviewed at least quarterly (typically March, June, September, December); additional review of candidates if needed by the organization. See testing module detail under description.
Expected salary: $18 per hour
Location: O’Fallon, IL
Job date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 03:43:21 GMT
Apply for the job now!