Job title: Transportation Manager Precast
Company: Peckham Industries
Job description: Peckham Industries
Location: Shaftsbury, VT
Salary Interval: Full Time
Date Posted: 02/28/22
Family by choice
Peckham Industries Inc. (PII) is a family-run business since 1924 and we believe our family by choice delivers value as the trusted supplier of construction materials, products, and services in the communities we serve. Through our extensive network of hot mix asphalt and ready-mix concrete plants, quarries, and liquid asphalt terminals, PII delivers the highest quality materials and custom solutions to thousands of road construction and road maintenance customers throughout the markets we serve. In addition, the company’s construction operations include paving and road reclamation services, as well as precast/pre-stressed concrete production and erection of multi-level parking structures, specialty buildings, and bridge components.
Become part of our mission by realizing your purpose, serving our community interests, and delivering growth for our customers. Peckham Industries educates, innovates, and applies technology in a way that is safe, sustainable, inclusive, and profitable.
The Transportation Manager is responsible for effectively managing the following areas: Yard Operations, Shipping/Dispatch, Equipment Maintenance, Patching and Detail Operations. All areas are managed at a high level, focusing on efficiency, and achieving a low cost, profitable operation. The ability to drive a culture of safety, quality and high performance is a key function of this position. As part of the management team, works collaboratively with all departments to build a strong and productive team. Works effectively as a mentor and coach, sharing knowledge and information to steadily advance the skills of the workforce, to drive the business forward. Leadership, teamwork, and cooperation are critical competencies necessary for success in this position.
- Has full responsibility of all Yard Operations, including overseeing the Yard Supervisor and crew. Holds all Yard employees accountable for following and established procedures.
- Has direct oversight of finishing and detailing, holding the crew responsible for the highest level of quality.
- Along with Yard Supervisor, plans and schedules daily yard operations for optimal efficiency and profitability of the business, taking into consideration customer demands and scheduling changes.
- Ensures direct reports follow all established procedures in their area of the yard, including installing lifter caps, using appropriate rigging and proper dunnage, and utilizing primary and secondary bracing, etc.
- Expands on new yard layout to improve efficiency, organization, and better logistics.
- Yard is clean, well-organized, efficient, and safe.
- Ensures cranes, forklifts, and wash trailers, are maintained daily, cleaned weekly, and all activity is documented.
- Has full ownership and responsibility for all shipping and dispatch activity.
- Works well with Project Managers and Erectors to review Sequence List and works with Yard Supervisor to create the Load List for efficient order of shipping.
- Effectively communicates with customers to create a schedule that meets their needs.
- Works well with outside trucking firms to meet customer needs and our delivery schedule, negotiating best pricing for all vendors.
- Trucking should optimize shipping costs with on-time delivery performance, avoiding excess or late trucking fees.
Requirements, Education and Experience:
- Training Experience
- Management / Leadership experience
- Proficient with Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Forms
- Experience with ERP Production / Scheduling systems
- Proficient verbal and written English
- Legal right to work in the U.S.
Position may require up to 5% travel by personal vehicle to offices throughout the state of New York, and New England based on the needs of the business.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
This position is in a manufacturing plant & construction environment. This position works on or near moving mechanical parts and loud equipment. Requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time as well as lifting, pulling, bending, kneeling, squatting, climbing, walking, reaching, driving, and repetitive motion.
At Peckham, you will experience our values wherever you work: corporate offices, plants, quarries, or paving operations. We share a common set of values – safety, integrity, dedication, and efficiency which are embedded in how we show up every day. Ours is a culture where we protect family and friends, our word is our bond, we are committed to serve and results matter. Our values are the foundation of our growth and we believe will pave the way for future success.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Peckham Industries, Inc. (PII) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action employer. It is our policy to provide EEO to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, if you have a disability and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Peckham, please contact [email protected]
Location: Shaftsbury, VT
Job date: Sat, 09 Jul 2022 07:00:29 GMT
Apply for the job now!