Job title: Robotics Senior Engineering Manager
Company: Axiom Space Inc.
Job description: OVERVIEW: Axiom Space is the commercial leader in human spaceflight and on-orbit research & manufacturing services, steered by a team of experts and guided by the vision of a thriving home in space that benefits every human, everywhere. Axiom provides unprecedented access to the International Space Station today while building and operating its successor – the world’s first international commercial space station – to improve life on Earth and foster possibilities beyond it. Our mission-driven team is seeking a bold and dynamic Robotics Senior Engineering Manager who is preoccupied with big questions: Where do we go from here? What are the limits of innovation and exploration? How do we continue to evolve as a species?
SUMMARY: This is a high visibility position that will work on-site at our headquarters in Houston, Texas and will be primarily focused on leading the engineering team that is developing the Axiom Remote Manipulator (ARM) and associated hardware/software through the full product life cycle (concept, design, build, test, assembly, integrate, certify, launch, operations, sustainment, etc.) and Axiom’s facility development needs for robotics systems overall. This role will include cost, schedule, technical and customer management responsibilities throughout all phases of the lifecycle of the Commercial Space Station development. Prior program management experience in developing space systems for challenging environments and missions is expected.
Note: Proof of COVID – 19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for medical or religious accommodation is necessary
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the team that develops, tests, and deploys hardware and software for extravehicular and intravehicular robotics
- Establish strong working relationships with Axiom Leadership Team, Systems Engineering, respective internal/external stakeholders, and NASA customers
- Lead, collaborate, and conduct program design and safety reviews with internal Axiom development teams and NASA customers for space station robotics development
- Provide or lead project management efforts for managing, and mitigating schedule, budget, and risk activities
- Oversee Statements of Work and manage vendors in Level of Effort and Milestone contracts
- Provide guidance for hardware and software systems, technical discussions, organization, and architecture development
- Conduct brainstorming, training / development, and mentoring activities for staff
- Other assigned responsibilities, including participation in new program proposals and initiatives
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires a strong broad background in remote manipulator systems as it applies to space vehicle design, space system architecture development, ground systems support, payloads, and space missions and operations development.
- Effective in working in a start-up environment with the ability to lead, drive and implement tactical change.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills with experience communicating to senior decision-makers and technical audiences.
- Effective in small teamwork environment with broad responsibilities and minimal oversight.
- Requires strong interpersonal, negotiation and organizational skills to drive alignment and successful outcomes.
- Demonstrated leadership and extensive collaboration skills are a must.
“This position has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate’s experience, requirements, and business needs, we reserve the right to consider candidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.”
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar
- Fifteen or more years of management experience in robotic space flight hardware development
- Experience leading technical teams larger than 20 people
- Experience in robotics hardware and software development and testing
- Prior experience in formal testing and verification activities including flight software
Work Environment: Generally, an office environment, but can involve inside or outside work depending on the task.
- Must be able to complete a U.S. government background investigation.
- Management has the prerogative to select at any level for which the position is advertised.
- Proof of U.S. Citizenship or US Permanent Residency is a requirement for this position.
- Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of the time). May require lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs. (5% of the time).
- Equipment and Machines
- Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
- Highly organized and detail oriented; able to juggle, prioritize, and keep track of multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and make and communicate the rationale behind key decisions in a constantly evolving fast-pace work environment.
- Strong project and time management skills with a high level of intuition and judgment.
- Must have a “can do” attitude – no job is too big or small, problem solver.
- Ability to take on ownership of projects ad hoc and drive them from beginning to end.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated and proactive; creative mind with an ability to suggest improvements.
- Self-assured and energetic self-starter; proactive about learning and motivated to take on additional responsibilities over time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to integrate quickly into a small team and represent the company with integrity.
- Professional, confident, driven, and dynamic.
- Passionate about creating an inclusive workplace where people from different backgrounds can succeed.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Ethics – Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organizational values
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization’s goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity
- Communications – Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; exhibits good listening and comprehension; keeps others adequately informed; selects and uses appropriate communication methods
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; develops and implements cost saving measures; contributes to profits and revenue; conserves organizational resources
- Teamwork – Eager and able to work in a collaborative and cross-disciplinary fashion in a fast-paced, dynamic and deadline-oriented environment
Axiom Space is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Axiom Space does not discriminate on the basis of race, regional color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Location: Houston, TX
Job date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 22:14:14 GMT
Apply for the job now!